Any other single moms with sz son or daughter

It is hard, I am not going to lie I have been a single mother my whole adult life. I have 2 grown sons. It is my youngest (32) that developed sz in his teens. I have never had any family support-ever. Most of my support comes from local support groups, counseling and online support like this. Otherwise I read a LOT —everything I can get my hands on about the illness itself, and coping strategies and how to best care for my own self as I care for my son. It is easier now that he has been mostly stable for a few years now and we share an apartment…but the first few nightmare years still plague me in my mind which is one part of the reason I am in therapy for PTSD. I also go to acupuncture weekly which is a great stress reliever. I also pick my battles with my son, if “it” is not a danger to his or my own health or safety than I do not argue about it. Since he is a night owl and I am an early bird. I have a nice long block of time in the morning all to myself. I also make sure not to neglect my sleep which I did in the beginning I never slept or if I dozed I felt like I did so with one eye opened I was so uneasy back then. Today is so much better than it was in the beginning. I am determined and resilient and seldom take no for an answer.

6 Likes