Denver Colorado Invega injection help

Hi Rosebuds,
The other long-acting injectable was Risperdal Consta (generic name: Risperidon injection) They had told me it was an advanced form of Risperdal, as Invega Sustenna was of Zyprexa.

My son goes every four weeks for his injection. So far that has worked for him. He did start hearing voices and his doctor put him on an oral pill called Thorazine. That has helped !!! Thanks for sharing the input about the injections, as I didn’t know you could get them sooner

Thanks for the info. It seemed with my son that the effects of the shot were getting less, but I really feel that it was because of son’s bad habits, such as smoking pot and cigarettes, drinking alcohol, and doing harder drugs too. I was always trying to figure it out, but could never be certain.

I had it in my mind that Invega Sustenna was an advanced form of Risperdal Consta, but I could be wrong about that. I wonder if @Wave could weigh in. He has always been so knowledgeable about these meds and could probably clarify.

Speaking of @Wave, I’ve noticed that the Caregivers now have a more “private” section and I never see those on the diagnosed forum commenting anymore. Does anyone know what happened? I miss their feedback, I learned a lot from them.

When my son was on injection, he got his shot for a while at the local mental health center, and then at a pharmacy. Had to call around to find one that would inject it without dispensing it. It turned out to be one in a grocery store!

You were lucky to find a place to get his injection. There is no such place like that in Colorado, Denver area,

My son gets his at our grocery store pharmacy in St. Louis. Schnucks is the super market. You can call Janssen and they can direct you on where to go. They are partnered with different pharmacies who will administer the injections. My son gets Integra Trina every 3 months.

1 Like

I did call them, they are not connected with any pharmacy in Colorado.
I think it is a state decision.

I enjoyed their feedback also appreciate a place to vent from time to time without hurting someone’s feelings.

1 Like

Yes - some people miss the feedback and some insights from the diagnosed participants were very helpful, but sometimes people were also very critical of parents and that really stifled conversation and drove people away.

Overall we saw traffic drop very dramatically (about 98% over a year) from the conversation level we had in this family forum before it was joined with the diagnosed section. Basically the negative / critical comments from the diagnosed killed the Family forum because people no longer felt safe to express themselves.

But, Now that we’ve split the two forums again - traffic is up about 600%+ , so the results speak for themselves.

If you have a specific question you want to get feedback from the diagnosed board on, I’d recommend posting in one of the diagnosed categories (but not the SZ/SZA category - as that is only for people with those diagnoses).

2 Likes

My son, in Florida , can have a family member give a long acting Abilify shot. The family member must meet with the doctor and have the first shot supervised. The doctor writes the Rx in such a sway that it says the family member can administer it. I would discuss this option with the doctor.

1 Like

Ok, thanks for the info.