Has anyone known anyone who has been cured of schizophrenia?

Yes, I personally met and interviewed two people in Guayaquil Ecuador who have been cured of schizophrenia and live normal lives, with minimal (1/4 tablet/daily) to no antipsychotic drugs. I am including the interviews in a documentary film I am producing ‘A Life Worth Living - Schizophrenia Alternative Treatment’ to be published at the end of this year. The 32-year-old man had catatonic schizophrenia when he was 21and had to drop out of college where he was studying electrical engineering. He was so rigid that his mother had to feed him with a spoon. He had the BEAM procedure done four years ago. Two months after the surgery on the adrenal medulla glands, he told his mother, “Mommy I feel normal now.” and he returned to the university. He is in his third year of studying Informatics. He said it took about three years to restore his normal life; it was little by little.

The 47 year old woman was told early in her illness that she would need to be institutionalized for the rest of her life. She had the BEAM (bi-lateral electrocoagulation of adrenal medulla) done when she was 40. She said that she felt born again and that her life really began at 40. She now wants to attend medical school and become a doctor. She already has a degree in psychology that she managed to get while having schizophrenia.

Both of these people had excellent family support systems but it was from meeting Dr. Jose Mackliff and the BEAM surgery, that their lives turned around. Since 2006 over 100 persons from around the world with schizophrenia have successfully eliminated schizophrenia symptoms and live normal lives.

2 Likes

Thank you for your research. We must find alternatives . I am sure that no therapy will work 100% for every patient. But if it frees even one person from this terror it’s worth it.

1 Like

I consider myself recovered, not necessarily cured.

It’s been a long road, I’ve been hospitalized 6 times in 4 years. I’ve used haldol, risperidone, invega, serequell, saphris, Vraylar , clozaril, ability, and now Latuda, which works well for me.

It’s been a lot of work on my part, researching symptoms online, comparing notes, working closely with my care team. But in my opinion, if the patient wants to recover and works hard at it it’s possible to fully recover. I realize this means I may relapse, but I believe it’s manageable.

4 Likes

Thank you for sharing hope of recovery.

Are they all successful? What are the things they must do after surgery to insure success.

My question too - what’s the failure rate where it doesn’t work at all?
What’s the relapse rate? (works for a time, then doesn’t)

Is anyone else doing research on this procedure?

Hmmm…I’m skeptical

2 Likes

The leaders of my support group are saying favorable things about transcranial magnetic stimulation TMS -does anyone have any experiences with TMS?

They offered TMS at the office of my son’s former psychiatrist.

He thought it wouldn’t hurt to try, even though it’s only approved so far for depression.
However, I think you have to go in for treatment 5 days a week for a month - or something like that - and my son would never have followed through with it.

I would have been very interested to see how it turned out.

How did you come to understanding that you were sick?
The most difficult boundary on the way to recovery, in my opinion, is anosognosia, is it not?

1 Like

Totally agree with you here, it is hard but not impossible. I’d also be interested in how you overcame anosognosia if that was even a thing for you.

That user (anon9905…) is nolonger a member here - so unfortunately will not respond to any posts.

1 Like

Supposedly only 60% of people with schizophrenia have the symptom anosognosia. Its backwards from bipolar where they say 40% of the sufferers have anosognosia.

Thanks, that would explain why they mentioned it being helpful and paid for by insurance. Depression was the subject at the time.

It is too bad that the person, who said she or he was a survivor, is no longer on this web site; would have been helpful to hear hiw he or she is doing. I really hope he or she is well.

@Mary1 I only have read a little about Dr. Mackliff and his BEAM procedure and it has huge red flags. There seems to be no legitimate scientific medical research in the U.S for the procedure and he is making a living off of patients and their families desperations for a cure. It reminds me of the Drs in Mexico selling Urine therapy for cancer patients. Despicable!

You know what else makes me angry. Suzanne wrote about that man that had catatonic schizophrenia, that he recovered. It is stated in her earlier message, and her book, I found that man, Talked to him. He told me surgery stopped him from relapsing he had no relapses. He returned to school, work and kind of normal life, but this all with medication, same amount. He did not reduce his medication not even a bet in 7 years. I don’t understand why Suzanne stayed he fully recovered??? What for??? He improved but did not recover.

There are many inaccuracies on website that was created for BEAM surgery. My son did not recover yet, I am still waiting. At this point I am asking people who had BEAM surgery can you please place your comments, please share you recovery. Be honest, if that surgery had affect can you please share this.

1 Like

I believe there is no recovery without medication for life
In near 100%

I’m 14 years of stable, other than a couple of hours here and there

My stress levels go sky high and I get some symptoms.

I’m married, Together since just after a 288 day stay in a psychiatric ward in 2006.

I usually exercise, I shop, cook, clean, I love all that stuff … see friends, do art, I take courses, volunteer, do part time jobs, help my family.

To put it bluntly no one ever does basically

My sisters are and were both schizophrenic
One died age 25 after a 12 year deterioration
Our youngest is psychotic for 7 years and has no hope in her life for anything but death

Footnote I’m 45
First diagnosed age 17
Lots of In and out of hospital until I met my husband