Of all things .... asking to go to the hospital

Well, another day where he didn’t say anything delusional - still just on the phone though. I’ll go get him tomorrow after he gets his second shot, so I’m both excited and nervous to see how he’s doing.

We had a phone meeting this mornig, and I know the case manager was trying to build up his confidence, but she said how he was last week compared to today was like night and day. She also said today was the first time she seen him smile the whole time he’d been there.

The only thing about today was he was very nervous about whether they’d have everything lined up for him to go home tomorrow, but he calmed down once they told him when to expect the shot.

I have this superstitious kind of thing where I feel like if I have more than a moment or two where I feel like nothing bad is going to happen, it will all come crashing down on me within a few days - because it usually does. So, I’m trying to contain myself & get my expectations in order.

2 Likes

Dear slw, you’re right; it’s always step by step, day by day (if we are lucky). I just feel we might allow ourselves the happiness of good moments, even if they might not last.

1 Like

I think you might be pleasantly surprised with this shot and you deserve a break. Consider it an early Christmas present and enjoy the peace. Breathe it in and savor every minute. I’m truly happy for you both. Maybe one day…

1 Like

He called this morning & said they told him they ordered his second shot, but he hasn’t gotten it yet.
I’m due to pick him up in 2 hours, so I guess we might be waiting a little bit.

He said he felt very dazed & groggy, so I’m guessing that’s the shot kicking in since he got it on Monday. Hopefully, that doesn’t last so long that he hates it now.

That will be my next battle - keeping him on it long term.

1 Like

He’s home - he still doesn’t quite get why he was in the hospital and he had some of the normal delusional talk on the way back, but they told me not to expect him to be 100% better.

When they discharged him, the nurse just handed him over and said he had his scripts & appointments. I see what I think is a script for 3 mg Invega pills for twice a day for the next month - and nothing about appointments.

I’m trying to decipher their writing on the med record - I think it says they gave him Trintellix through today, but are not continuing the script, it looks like they gave him some Neurontin for one night only, then the Invega Sustenna injections.

He is not groggy in the slightest - he doesn’t seem to be having any side effects at all that I can tell so far. Hopefully, this will be a good med. He’s very happy to be out of there.

2 Likes

Thank you for updating us. I hope everything goes well.

1 Like

Wow, the shot seems to be working really well. Enjoy your time together with your son. Go out and look at the Christmas lights. I’m hoping you have a wonderful Christmas.

1 Like

I took the advice I got here & only got a week’s worth of the Invega pills at the pharmacy - he has not taken a single one of course.

However, he did well yesterday. We went shopping yesterday at his request to pick up a few new clothes, but after spending about 45 minutes in the first store, he didn’t want to go to any more. The beds in the hospital make his back hurt and he said it was bothering him.

The rest of the day was pretty good too. He listened to music most of the day and we watched the new Vacation movie on cable last night. There was some delusional talk, but all in all, it wasn’t too bad.

However, the meds must have became active last night. He fell asleep on the couch last night around 9 PM and hasn’t moved other than to smoke a cigarette in the middle of the night. I can always tell if he’s been up while I’m asleep by a mess in the kitchen or elsewhere. It’s almost 10 AM now, so that’s a good night’s sleep, but I’m not going to disturb him.

He had his first injection last Monday (not sure of the time) and the second one on Friday before I picked him up at 11:30 AM. Sometime yesterday would have been the fifth whole day with the injection in him, so that’s probably it?

His appt with his regular case manager and pdoc is tomorrow at 2 PM. I was thinking this would be great because he’d be up & ready to go. Now, I’m a little worried I’ll have to drag him in half asleep and he’ll be all out of it. I guess I’ll see how he is when he wakes up.

Edit: He woke up within 10 minutes after I posted this. He doesn’t seem groggy at all, listening to music again, had a few things to eat & seems pretty good. Said he might go with me to Walmart later today.

3 Likes

I wish my daughter would want to go… I have to be a master manipulator to get her there… " of her own free will"
As soon as she signs in she will start the papers to be released … the only downside is while she is there she refuses her medications … which at home we make sure she takes … so sometimes/usually she gets released worse then when she went in :frowning:
Good luck with your son!