Stevenson Place Helps Those Who Need Extra Care, But It’s Not Being Replicated

for a lot of people cost is a major factor the more staff a facility has all those people need to be paid unless they are volunteers but i love the idea of course of a comfortable family style atmosphere and being able to make choices - when to relax and watch TV if you feel like it or join in group activities when they choose to is what makes the difference between a rigid institution and a comfortable home like atmosphere . you can have a comfortable lounge area and activities exc. but if they are forced to take part in the comfort of the lounge after breakfast at 8AM sharp for 2 hours until activity time that they have to go to until lunch time … thats an institution regardless of the decor of the living spaces and i do think thats cruel and thoughtless and i dont support any residential living arrangement (or policy) that treats the residents as a group instead of as individuals and human beings

Its an arrangement that makes it more convenient for the assistants but less enjoyable for the residents . cohousing isnt a bad idea IF it can remain a place that allows personal freedom of choice throughout the day having a schedule daily and weekly that is as individual as the person is i have no problem with cohousing as long as the people who are cohousing are treated with the respect and thoughfulness that any other human being would have if they were not disabled

1 Like