Update on my 24 year old Szo son

That same Pdoc said that if all else fails there is Clozaral. Trouble is on the genetic tests this was the only drug with red flags for my son. I’ve sort of steadied clear of it but I’m glad it is working for your son.

1 Like

I have often thought I would like a little window into the future - just a peek - to see how my son will be getting on 5 years from now. I have a feeling I would be encouraged, but maybe it would just depress me.

4 Likes

Keep hope alive! Here is an interesting thing that happened last night. Our son came in from his apartment in the middle of the night( which means he got scared). He gets in his bed only to bolt out around 3:30 am yelling at two brothers that stole something from him three years ago and he hasn’t seen since.

After waking us up, I get up to give him his meds in his decaf coffee. After he calms down a bit and has both of us up in the kitchen. It’s about an hour later but he is still fully delusional.

I open the dishwasher and handed him a plate and he put it away. Then another and another. We downloaded the whole thing and I think this action in some way brought him back. He went back to bed and slept like a baby. It’s been over a month since our son has gone off like that. It did happen daily. So I look at that improvement.

3 Likes

Mom of 2 that’s great , totally understand how you are just gateful for any small positive sign that your son is there. I had one at weekend. He asked would I order something for his dads Christmas for him to give his dad. Keep the faith x

1 Like

The psychologist who just evaluated my family member told me that daily tasks and being engaged and involved are really healthy. Dishes being put away is so good:)

1 Like

So glad your son is feeling better. I’m definitely curious about Invega shots – sounds very hopeful! Keep us posted as to how the Invega shots is helping or not helping him.

My son tends to balloon up on the shots, and he dislikes them because of that. Unfortunately, he is currently not being compliant with his oral medication.

I don’t have sz but my hubs does and he’s the same way he accepts his diagnosis and then suddenly feels better and decides to go off his meds and gets sick paces paranoia etc etc it’s so hard watching someone you love suffer and you know how to help and they won’t accept help it’s incredibly difficult isn’t it?

1 Like

@Vallpen How is your son doing? I was just thinking about you and @Hereandhere. I hope all is well with the family and I pray this year has started out great for you. Hugs to you both :kissing_heart:

2 Likes

ok I’m a care=taker for a 59 tear old supposedly highfunctioninf schz for 20 or so yrs. and enough is enough
sorry but there isn’t any cure. there isn’t any help out there worth a sht.

he is what he iss and I either give up everything in my life ang GIVE up if you know what I mean or face it and end the relationship 100 % once and for all.

its a lost cause and I would like to have some good times FOR ME in whatever time I may have. I’m 75 so YOU have to decide whats good FOR YOU ongoing and pull the plug on him ONCE AND FOR ALL

YOU CANT HELP HIM !!! no more than if he had brain cancer!!!\

and GET ON WITH YOUR LIFE!!! sorry but that’s the REALITY we’re ALL FACING>>

1 Like

I’m sorry you’re having a bad time. The whole thing can be exhausting.

4 Likes

I know we have all felt that way at one time or another. You probably know already the fear we all face and I don’t know what is worse, the unknown or the known. I pray there is a cure for this awful illness and will try just about anything if I thought it would help him. Non one blames you for taking care of yourself. If you are his guardian, I suspect you will have to legally assign someone else or at least tell the judge you are no longer interested in being his conservator. Good luck to you.

2 Likes

Thank you for writing.

Reading the post from 20madonna made me think about my choices. I know there might be circumstances that would be too much for me to handle or navigate, but I’m still able to attempt to act on behalf of my family member.

It’s so strange to be in a relationship with a loved adult child and to feel all the respect and expectations that I would have in any adult family relationship, but also to find myself in a caregiver role, which by default extends the years of active parenting. Where and when to step in? How to be more calm and present without being invasive or inaccessible? How to learn what is best for myself? What is truly in the best interest of the person I love?

Our family’s external situation is very difficult right now, but hopefully we will get through this time.

Hugs to you too:)

2 Likes

@LoyalJazzy. My daughter does the same thing. She will take her medication until she feels better and then within a week after stopping she starts feeling unwell. The longer she is off her medication the more delusional, paranoid and aggressive she becomes. I’m cautiously optimistic that this time she will stay on her meds. Crossing my fingers.

2 Likes

But she takes them each night? Has she always good insight?

Hi @myson, thanks for asking. Currently things are okay.He had a short hospital visit in December, and the doctor decided just to move his morning dose to the evening so he only has to take meds once a day. That is helping. We had the most sane holiday season we have had in several years.

He isolates way too much, but at this point, our only goal is avoiding hospitalization. When I think about it, it is sad to have that as a goal, but that’s the most realistic goal. I don’t want to set either of us up for failure.

4 Likes

@myson - I have been meaning to ask about your avatar, the green ribbon. What is it for?

1 Like

@Vallpen, It’s a green ribbon to help raise awareness for mental illness. I got it off of the NAMI website. Here’s the website

1 Like

How is your son doing today? I was reading past posts and hope he continued on his medicine. Any insight yet?

Thanks for asking! My son is doing great! He’s on his medication and haven’t had any problems. He has his days where he doesn’t want to go places, but he gets out more then he used too…

4 Likes