Family and Caregiver Schizophrenia Discussion Forum

CAMH: Tips for quitting smoking

What are your reasons for quitting smoking? Write them down. Do you want to quit cold turkey or cut down a bit at a time? Whatever your reasons or methods for quitting, your environment, behaviour and biology all play a role in determining how successful you are going to be.

http://www.camh.ca/en/hospital/health_information/a_z_mental_health_and_addiction_information/tobacco/Pages/Tips-for-quitting-smoking.aspx

It’s interesting how some people can really throw that pack away and not look back… sweat out the withdrawal and be done.

I couldn’t. I had to taper.

But I guess it worked… It’s hard to keep it up too… I used to used smoking as an escape… crowded place… need to leave with out making a scene? Going for a smoke was an easy excuse.

But I’m still smoke free so far. I’ll consider myself over it when I quit looking for my smokes while getting ready to leave for work. Or thinking of having one with lunch…

My last one so far was 4 months ago… but I still crave at times.

I quit cigarettes twice and cigars multiple times. It sure as hell ain’t easy. The first time was cold turkey. The second time I simply substituted marijuana for tobacco. And the cigars aren’t as hard as cigarettes but take equal measures. Same with cloves. Nowadays I don’t crave tobacco at all. In fact I despise tobacco. All I crave is marijuana and that can be as equally addicting. It’s all a mind game in my opinion.

We started smoking outside in October. It cut my smoking in half with little effort. Made me realize how much I was smoking out of habit. I think I’m around 7-10 a day and superslims so I’m happy with that for now anyways.

@BarbieBF

Congratulations on cutting back… :thumbsup:

@SurprisedJ…4 months is really good-it really does take awhile to stop wanting one.
@BarbieBF…when I was living in CA., no one smoked out there. I had to smoke outside also. When I moved back to KY, I just kept up with going outside. I love that my whole house doesn`t smell of cigs anymore! **