Caring for those who care: A global survey of the health behaviours and health-related needs of informal caregivers

You are invited to participate in the research project identified above, which is being conducted by a team of researchers led by Professor Billie Bonevski from the School of Medicine and Public Health at the University of Newcastle.

The research is part of Alexandra Denham’s studies at the University of Newcastle, supervised by Professor Billie Bonevski from the Faculty of Health and Medicine at the University of Newcastle.

Why is the research being done?

Informal caregivers of someone with a diminishing physical ability, a debilitating cognitive condition or a chronic life-limiting illness, such as spouses and family members, may experience a change in lifestyle after they take on the caregiving role. These may be lifestyle changes such as time spent exercising, or time available for leisure activities. Being a caregiver can at times be hard and even overwhelming, and we are interested in hearing about your needs as an informal caregiver.

Our research aims to explore health behaviours and needs of informal caregivers. With this information, we will be able to develop helpful tools and resources to support informal carers in achieving healthier lifestyles.

Who can participate in the research?

Participating in this research is suitable for you if:

Aged 18 years and over
Comfortable participating in English
Are an informal carer of a person with a diminishing physical ability, a debilitating cognitive condition or a chronic life-limiting illness. This includes unpaid spouses, family members and friends and more

Participating in this research is not suitable for you if:

Are a formal/paid carer of someone with a diminishing physical ability, a debilitating cognitive condition or a chronic life-limiting illness. This includes nurses, doctors and other paid professionals

https://ands.newcastle.edu.au/quon/public/question/91425/286022

1 Like

i would like to particpate.

1 Like

I clicked on the link, it looks like this survey is closed now. I sure would like to see the results. Anything to help me feel better physically and mentally would be nice. I am soooooo tired.

I know that the last 3 years of caregiving have taken a large toll on me. I don’t sleep well, have gained weight, stopped almost all exercise, don’t cook like I used to, and haven’t had a vacation, even a weekend one, in a long time. I am sullen, negative and pressured most of my awake hours. My cholesterol is way up, my ankles are permanently swollen, my mouth is always dry (as are my eyes). I have something growing in my thyroid and may need it out (not cancerous) and now my thyroid is pressing on my vocal cords making my speech all quivery. I feel like I will never be able to retire as now I am a permanent caregiver in my senior years. I remember being a vibrant person … that is just a memory now. Just 4 years ago life was soooo different, as was I, mentally and physically.

Sorry for the lament, I guess I needed to vent tonight.