Estrogen The Culprit

My daughter has been doing great for the last two years on colazapine.The problem is when she has her periods that is when she starts to hear some. voices.She can live with them as she now as insight.She could maybe have her drug raised but she does not want to rock the boat Has anyone else have a family members have this problem.

I don’t have experience personally, but I know in some males various AP drugs are known to create ‘man boobs’ (gynecomastia) and raise progesterone levels. Elyn Saks switched to Clozapine because relatively high dosages of Trilafon (perphenazine) were raising progesterone levels that were implicated in her breast tumors.

Progesterone and Estrogen play into menstrual cycles, so your theory seems plausible. I understand certain birth control medications can be regulated to suppress or lessen menstrual duration. I’ve also observed some serious behavioral and physical side effects related to polycystic ovaries and endometriosis, so maybe her psychiatrist could refer her to a gynecologist and/or endocrinologist for answers or possible treatment.

2 Likes