Hitting family members

Hi donna, thank you for your response. Without going into too much detail these accusations are ones that since she has been ill have been leveled at several different people and are almost exactly the same each time. I don’t know what their relationship was like before she was ill, I know she had a good relationship with her mom but I’m not sure about her dad. I do know that for a long time after she got sick her mom and dad and my husband were the only people she trusted but that has now apparently changed.

Thanks so much for explaining. I don’t know too much about the voices she talks to because she has never been able to recognize she is sick or describe what is going on, at least to knowledge. I do know that for a long time the people she was talking to had names and one in particular seemed to tell her what to do. For example they would often tell her when to sit down, went to lie down, went to walk around,and things like that. For a while she would talk so you could hear both sides of the conversation, if that makes sense. As she got sicker we start only being able to hear her responses but she wouldn’t stay out loud what the people she was talking to were saying. My suspicion that the voices are telling her to hit is because for a couple of years with one voice in particular she was always doing what it told her to do. My fear is that this is a progression of the illness because before the only people she would trust were her parents and my husband, and now it seems even her parents have become targets of whatever is going on in her head. It’s just a bad situation she’s not able to recognize she is sick and my in-laws are not willing to do anything to get her help, whether it’s guardianship, calling the police, pressing charges, etc. I feel a bit as though we are all sitting around waiting for something bad enough to happen that either my in-laws finally act, or the decision is taken out of their hands in some way.

Good, I am glad that you are safe and that she is better under a state worker. You have to take some happiness is little improvements one at a time.

1 Like

Be strong it’s hard. My sister used to bully my parents and she had to move into different accommodation eventually.

Ultimately it’s the illness so don’t feel bad. Reach out to support groups and somebody will be able to advise a solution.

1 Like

I only mention it because it’s a known fact that people who have been abused have a greater risk of mental illness.
And often when these mentally ill patients make accusations they’re not believed.
I was one of those people. I have bipolar 2 and my father sexually and physically abused me. They called me “crazy” when I finally told everyone. Eventually they believed me because he did the same to my sister and others.

I’m so sorry you had to go through the abuse @Donna1 .

Thank you. 13 years of therapy and I’m a much stronger person. I feel healed. It’s the basis for my compassion for others that suffer. So there’s always a silver lining.

3 Likes

I’m so sorry that happened to you and that you were not believed when you reported it. That’s so terrible.