How to initiate help at the very beginning?

Our situation was eye-opening for me, of course, as I was pretty much oblivious to what families of those with mental health issues deal with. I will definitely pray for you and your kiddo. NAMI was a HUGE source of help for us. I would sit in the support group meetings with my jaw dropping, as people described what sounded just like my son…and sometimes even worse situations. I highly recommend NAMI’s Family-to-Family course, if you can swing it. It’s free, but I know time is difficult to find when you feel you need to safeguard your loved one. I personally received a lot of information and healing through the Family-to-Family course.

1 Like

So glad that you are making good strides.

@franski8 is right, if you can get to NAMI’s family-to-family course (held over many weeks) or even a caregiver support group meeting, it will help you to see that you are not alone in your struggle and give you good ideas to implement in your own life.

When your son says the psychiatrist is a “pill pusher” that seems like a realistic opinion of most psychiatrists. Your son will have a reason for behaving the way that he does. I think you need to find out what has happened to your son to make him behave the way that he is doing. SZ can be seen as a crisis of perception usually brought about by intense mental pressure and trauma. It may be advantageous to think more about circumstance, relationship and history. Try to get assistance from counsellors or dialogical practitioners rather than the medical profession who tend to view SZ as a disease. SZ is a name given to a group of symptoms, there are no bacteria or viruses to be tackled.

What is the ‘clubhouse’ you refer to?

It is an international organization that defines a movement of self-directed meeting spaces for the seriously mentally ill.

See this link:

I agree totally about changing laws to make it easier to get help for our loved ones who need it. So the police were really doing only what they could do, it seems. Have you ever called 911 and asked for a CIT team? Crisis Intervention Team. That can sometimes be helpful to get treatment. Crisis Intervention Team (CIT) Programs | NAMI: National Alliance on Mental Illness

Thank you for your email, I will definitely look into NAMI. I had occasion to call them in the past and they were very helpful.

1 Like