How to respond to delusions

hey im new to this trying to learn more about it .but my bf is scitzofrinic and has belived he was god jesus etc that people are out to kill us being followed etc has pulled guns out shot at non existent things tried to set fires etc hes currently in jail but the behavior continues he refuses meds and when i try point it out that he should try it he thinks im after him to ive tried agreeing with him and ive tried telling him its not real both ways end bad im at my wits end with this i love him but at times im scared because i know he can hurt me or someone else and i do belive heavy drugs may play a part in this does any one know of somthing or have any ideas on what might help im open to anything at this point

Hi @georgia98 . Welcome to this site. It is a great place to come to learn about sz and the troubles it causes for our loved ones. I am sorry to say that often only medication will help, and so many people with sz refuse to accept medication, or even to believe that there is anything wrong with the way they are thinking. My daughter only went on anti-psychotics because of a court order after she went to jail. She is still on the medication 10 months later and is doing really, really well. I hope that your boyfriend can get the treatment he needs. Keep reading and learning and coming here for support. It is a great group of people with loads of experience dealing with hallucinations and delusions in a loved one.

3 Likes

Dont walk away, RUN!!!

2 Likes

its hard to tell really if it is drugs or the sz i know he has a past with meth and it sometimes seems like hes back on it with the things he comes up with so im just not sure

Like you, I’m new at learning how to respond to the delusions that haunt my husband. He hears voices that are out to get him, kill him or lock him up somewhere and throw away the key (for no valid reason). I have learned that saying the delusions are not real gets me nowhere. Instead, I listen a great deal, do my best to have patience, and have convinced him that medical providers might be able to quiet the voices and threats.

While I wish you the best in your situation, please make sure you stay safe. Jail, not taking his medication, illegal drug usage and more are all things that may put you at risk. Be careful. If he fails to make needed changes, then out of fairness to yourself, it might be time to distance yourself from him.

the LEAP method has helped me make so much progress with my sister. its unbelievable!!!

In my experience once you start using this method is takes some getting used to, initially i felt like such a hypocrite to myself but then eventually over days saw that her trust in me got restored and became stronger. eventually i also noticed that i automatically came up with answers where i dont have to agree with her but imply to her that i agree with her. You will figure out yourself how to string your sentences in a way that you don’t propagate the delusion but you still manage to make your loved one feel more secure and taken care of. I know its hard… it still hard for me but these are the cards that life has dealt us so lets make the best of it. It does get better.

1 Like

My son has been on clozapine for 3 years and is reasonably stable. He still has strange beliefs:

Son: Mom, I thought there were aliens in my living room the other night.
Me: Oh dear, that must have been scary.
Son: It was the cat playing with that toy you brought.

Because… Aren’t aliens everyone’s first explanation for noises in the night?

6 Likes

Thank you :pray:t3:, this is very helpful for me to read this.

Article on this subject which I hope is helpful to many of you: Psychosis: Responding to a Loved One in the Face of Uncertainty | NAMI: National Alliance on Mental Illness

2 Likes