I’m seeking advice

I think bringing God into things too soon confuses matters. I’m not trying to knock religion, but when you are psychotic and hearing voices and/or having delusions, you can get confused and misinterpret religious teachings or scripture and in the wrong state of mind it can be dangerous.

Who’s to say the voices you hear aren’t God or the Devil or both. Or that somehow everyday events have religious significance, or your hallucinations or delusions are prophetic. Or that you should stop taking medication, because God will heal you. I know a case where a patient harmed himself to test God, saying that Jesus would heal him because of his faith. Without getting into details, the results were catastrophic.

I urge great caution with religion. It doesn’t mix well with hallucinations or resulting delusions. Finding your way back to reality from even mild psychosis requires questioning many things in life that many well people take for granted. That’s why they stress listening and empathizing. When you don’t know what’s going on internally with someone, you may inadvertently trigger or destabilize them.

Edit: I’ll add in postscript if it isn’t clear, that many things that happen when you are psychotic are strange and seem unexplainable—like a waking dream. And your mind makes up stories to try and explain them— that’s the source of delusions. So thoughts that you are pursued by the FBI or CIA or the Illuminati or the Knights Templar or aliens from another planet all seem equally plausible explanations, and depending on the content of your hallucinations, you may pick one of these supernatural or conspiratorial explanations.

4 Likes

You got that right…

3 Likes

I have a strong faith, and I can’t agree with this more.

3 Likes

He actually does believe the Illuminati is out to get him. At least he did, he might be getting past that now.

2 Likes

I wonder too. It’s such a mysterious illness, and it’s so terribly sad to watch such a smart kid suffer.