Family and Caregiver Schizophrenia Discussion Forum

Internet Browsing and SZ

Hello, I was wondering what do all of you think about internet, it seems to have had a very bad impact on my daughter psyche. Do you think it is something I should get rid of. My daughter is doing better now but she is not at home and she has no internet access. Would getting rid of the internet be to controlling. She is not a child but she was having issues with certain rock singer (she is infatuated with and not in a healthy way) that’s into occults and that really messed her head up bad. I’m afraid that when she comes home she will be set off again if she starts looking him up again. Please advise me on this if you have had problem or have had any solutions. or just let me know you opinions please. She also asked me not to delete any of his pictures she has saved over 10,000. should I delete this stuff.

1 Like

I am hoping you get a lot of responses to your question. A family in the past had to shut down all of their home internet after Homeland Security showed up at their door. I guess at that point, you do know for sure.

Can you ask their therapist? Do you have a line of communication?

2 Likes

That’s a good idea thank you.

My opinion from personal experience is that limiting internet access and encouraging direct social interaction is a good idea. Often it’s hard to block completely given mobile devices and access at libraries and friends’ houses and such. I think adding additional friction with schedules, site or keyword blocks and timeouts and monitoring is probably a better approach than an outright ban, especially during pandemic times. There can be positives to online interaction, what you need to watch for are extremes and obsessions.

There are services and programs for managing and monitoring access and some allow for a screen-time allowance, or blocking specific sites or categories of sites. These range from so-called “net nannies” to business oriented keystroke, email and internet productivity and liability mitigation. These can sometimes be integrated into wifi router configurations and such.

Monitoring social media accounts can also be a good idea. I don’t have a Facebook account and am thankful it was not in existence when I started recovery. I was on online forums and email lists however, and would sometimes take breaks from them to better manage my illness. There were a few times that having online contact helped, but on the whole I think it’s a poor substitute for personal contact.

2 Likes

Tik Tok may be even worse than Facebook, or Meta, as it is now called. Here’s a free-to-read/view link to The Wall Street Journal’s investigation as to how Tik Tok sends users down rabbit holes:

Facebook is still out of control, though. Another WSJ investigation revealed that the company continued to try to attract preteen users, even as it knew that its Instagram app was harming teen girls’ mental health. Its staffers also considered exploiting children’s play dates to get more users. It also tracks those of us who have never used it, in what is clearly a gross infringement of our right to privacy.

1 Like

So far you’ve received great responses; I know we had in the last couple of years a discussion about how much the internet affects adolescents, a lot of them at church were getting depressed or having some kind of anxiety since the overused of electronics instead of wholesome activities due in part to ‘covid’! And definitely there’s a lot of concern over the kind of music our loved ones pay attention to! My son tends to watch negative videos or ‘trash’ about the police and the bad rap about religion and I know when he’s trying to get me to join the ‘dance’ just to argue. We cancelled the cable long time ago but he has a cel and he gets access right there to internet.
Since he’s been going unmedicated most likely it won’t be long before he throws away the phone again!

1 Like

I think you have something there. I didn’t have anything like this stuff when I was a kid you went outside to play with neighbor kids. Had certain shows on T.V I liked to watch.
Grizzly Adams, Disney movie once a week and Loren Green (show about animals in the wild)). It seemed simple back then compared to now. Never watched the news. Couldn’t stay up that late… But now everything is thrown into you face all the time. And most of it is not good news to show how people are helping each other. And that there is happiness out there. Not just death and hatred and conspiracies. Us against them and them against us. Its out of control really, just watch and listening for a while makes you depressed and feel powerless. I think if I can limit the time she spends on the internet and just put my foot down that yes we can get rid of it. If she lets it control her moods. Ughhh! just too much!

This is so tough. Being away from the internet/not using it too much is obviously going to be better for her but she probably wont see it that way and will most likely be upset. I would say limit her usage little by little and if you start to see improvements you can go from there. Social media/Internet is pretty brainrotting for anyone, not just people with SZ.

1 Like

I completely agree, there’s nothing worth to watch this days on tv. I don’t use fb if I can avoid it. Media is a two edge blade, use it for good or else.
Good luck with your daughter.

2 Likes

Completely agree! I used to watch the monsters, little house on the prairie, the Brady bunch and some other shows that were really funny: Laverne and Shirley! That was long time ago! Since there’s nothing good to watch and I have plenty of things to do I rather listen to the radio, afr is my favorite! I’m with you, most news are depressing, but there’s plenty of good around it’s just that media want to keep people afraid and against each other.

1 Like

LOL you are so right, I don’t think there is a funny pet video out there I haven’t watched to get a laugh!

Love cats! dogs aren’t too bad either!

Cutting the internet on her will create a lot of conflict and erode trust. Besides, if she has a smartphone she will continue having access. Ideally you would converse with her and she will come to the realization herself that reducing the time in internet is good for her.

1 Like