My 34 year old daughter has passed away

I haven’t posted for a long time. My 34 year old daughter has passed away. After a long struggle, my daughter passed away last month. Not from schizophrenia, but from high blood pressure that was untreated and destroyed her kidneys.
We both thought she had finally found the best treatment for her schizophrenia the last two years. A psychiatrist and a doctor to monitor her bad side effects and prescribe meds for her physical symptoms. We were wrong. No one ever took her blood pressure and monitored it. Please get your loved ones checked for high blood pressure. Also the full panels of blood tests that would have shown kidney function was off was never caught. I cannot describe how angry I am at the low income medical care care she received. The psych meds she took were not toxic to the kidneys, but her symptoms should have been much more carefully followed.:broken_heart:

8 Likes

I am so incredibly sorry to hear that you’ve lost your daughter. I have no words. You are right about low income health care. It is appalling. So devastated that it resulted in such a tragedy. My heart goes out to you and your family. :sob::broken_heart:

1 Like

I am so sorry. My sympathy to entire family.

1 Like

Oh I am so sorry. Such a needless tragedy. Thank you for telling about it so we can know what to ask for.

1 Like

I’m so sorry to hear this. It’s so tragic. Peace to you all.

1 Like

I am so sorry, such a terrible loss.

2 Likes

Oh, my @dkgreg … I feel such sadness right now. I remember you from before, when you were on here more regularly. I know of the improvement your daughter made on medication, as that was occurring while I was on here several times a day for support due to my (at that time unmedicated) daughter’s continued psychosis.

I had cold chills all over my body when I read this post. I send you my most heartfelt condolences for your loss.

I am sure that no one at my daughter’s low income clinic has checked her blood pressure or any vitals. She goes in gets her shot and comes right back out in minutes, and has for 10 months now. Thank you for thinking of us all on this site even in your grief, as until this second, it never occurred to me to get her to a general practitioner also to monitor her physical wellness. I was depending on the psychiatrist visits to do that.

I can totally understand your anger.

2 Likes

Dear @dkgreg,
I am so saddened for you, no words to ever say what a terrible tragedy for you and your daughter.
So generous of you to think of others at this very difficult time, it has certainly highlighted to me how important those observations should be made, we have to be on full alert and speak up always on behalf of our unwell loved ones.
Thankyou @dkgreg,
May your daughter Rest In Peace.
My sincere condolences to you.
Maggie46 :butterfly:

3 Likes

Dear dkgreg,

I am saddened by the loss of your daughter. Thank you so much for your informative posting; I hope it will help others in the future. With deepest condolences…

2 Likes

I am so very sorry for the loss of your daughter. This is a terrible tragedy and speaks volumes about the state of mental health care in this country. Thank you for your warning for the rest of us. Sending prayers, light and love to you and your family.

1 Like

I,m so sorry to hear this, my thoughts and prayers are with you

2 Likes

I’m so sorry for your loss. I have a very unhealthy , neglected schizophrenic son. No matter how I try I cannot get him to doctor, and as you say the inferior treatment kills. The last time was a dentist, 5 years ago when they pulled 2 wrong teeth. I, myself had a near death experience with my first heart attack. It was so real, heaven, that I know your child is in a great, loving, peaceful, yet exciting place. I miss the rest of my family that have passed but after that experience I know they are fine. I hope that gives you some comfort. My prayers are with you. God bless.

2 Likes

WOW dkgreg…as someone else previously commented, I am amazed and touched by your caring and concern for other families of those suffering with schizophrenia - to make it a priority to warn the rest of us of the hidden dangers in the midst of your own grief. God Bless you for doing that. Your precious daughter was too young to pass from something preventable like that, but at least her death is NOT in vain, thanks to YOU. I fully believe in scripture and the hope of the Resurrection. I have no doubt you will see her again, and she will be PERFECT. No more sickness - just perfect health. God Bless you - I am praying for you to have the strength to endure the road ahead until that wonderful day comes when you will be reunited with your beloved daughter. Sending you lots of love and hugs my friend. - zachsmom

3 Likes

I’m sorry for your loss and so sad that it could be prevented.

My previous psychiatrist would check my blood pressure, and insisted I get a primary care physician or he would no longer treat me. He referred me his personal doctor, who I still see regularly. Over time I developed high blood pressure and hyperlipidosis and received treatment. Since both doctors can prescribe, my PCP has RXed psych meds and my psychiatrist has RXed non psych meds. My psychiatrist always wants my lab results, and my PCP screens for depression and whether I still see my psychiatrist. It’s a partnership.

People with SZ have a much reduced life expectancy— on par or less than people with HIV. I know it’s tough enough to convince sufferers to see a pdoc much less a physician to beat these odds, and it shouldn’t be your job. Unfortunately some doctors shirk their responsibilities and the results can be tragic.

3 Likes

This is heartbreaking. I haven’t posted much here for a long time, but I am a psychiatric nurse with a son who has schizophrenia. Much of my career - starting before his illness- focused on trying to get better medical care fort mentally ill adults. Blood pressure monitoring is a standard of care for anyone taking antipsychotic medication.

I am outraged on your behalf and so very sorry for your loss.

5 Likes

@dkgreg I am so sorry to learn of your daughter’s passing. You were obviously doing everything you knew to do to help and encourage her. We are often left with so little to do and true coordination of care by the professionals is rare.

My heart breaks for you. You are understandably angry. Letting us know is a healthy way to vent your feelings. I encourage you to allow all the feelings that come with the loss of someone we held dear. Your daughter will always be remembered and your pain will lessen with time.

I promise you that I will use your much appreciated advice and that I will also share this with others I know who have a loved one with serious mental illness. Together, someday, with enough advocacy to bring things like this to light, our “community” will bring about change for better. Those of us who are able need to get involved with organizations like NAMI, MHA, Treatment Advocacy Center.

Thank you for sharing your story. Take care of yourself. You are cared about.

1 Like

I am so sad to hear of the loss of your daughter, as well as the difficult circumstances leading up to her passing.

I won’t rant on about our broken medical system, but I will say that I had a friend go from indigent medical care to private insurance thinking they were going to get this excellent care and respect and were floored this was not the case.

I appreciate you sharing with us, and I hope you continue to contribute here and elsewhere.

I just joined and this is my first post. So I especially appreciate your warning and also that your daughter was getting better in recent years… . I will think about you and your daughter everyday and hold you close to my heart. Until you meet again, I wish you healing and health.

2 Likes

I am so so sorry for your loss. Just read this now :frowning:

1 Like

I’m so sorry for your loss. I’m going through the same thing. My daughter passed away July 2017 at a job interview from heart disease caused by high blood pressure. She had mental health challenges, however, that is not what she died from. We were not aware she had heart disease. Her health coverage was also low-income coverage. My daughter was 39 years old. I truly know your pain. I will remember you in my prayers.

2 Likes

This is so sad and emboldens me to help others and work toward change. I’m so sorry for your loss. Your daughter must have been on a positive path if she was job seeking! Thank you for sharing.

1 Like