My heart is missing my son

When I was on Seroquel alone I was also very sleepy and unmotivated and lethargic. But when the seroquel got cut back and the Latuda got added I got my energy back.

I’m sorry the med game takes so long to balance out. There are some on this forum who are doing amazing and are on Geoden.

Geoden nearly broke me… that didn’t work for me at all. Flip side is… my Latuda didn’t work for everyone. It’s a bit of a balancing act. It is frustrating and it does make us feel like a lab rat at times… but if you can hang in there and find a med combo that works… life can start to come back.

I hope the best for you.

I was first diagnosed in 1971 at 28 years of age. That makes me less then a month short of 72.

The best advice I can give, having some 44 years experience, is to concentrate on the Orthomolecular Medicine ( a term coined by Linus Pauling) approach. Yes, they have been coined to be “Mega Vitamin” therapists. For me, it has allowed me to live on minimal medication and I have been very successful, career and family wise.

To quote Dr Abram Hoffer ( former Orthomolecular Physician), “a cured schizophrenic is a schizophrenic who pays taxes”. To that end, since 1971 and including 2014, I have paid over $890,000.00 in taxes on earned income.

Being cured is not about being off medication, which I am not, it is about paying taxes.

I really want to know more about orthomolecular medicine. Can you tell me any resources?

My young, grown son died 3 and a half years ago. He was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia. He died of suicide. I was prepared in a way, when I learned of his death. He actually died, in my mind, on the day that I learned of his diagnosis, so, I was prepared. Prepared for anything. I knew a lot about schizophrenia when I learned of his diagnosis. I was a former R.N. And on top of that, I was diagnosed with schizophrenia myself. So, I knew the statistics. I knew he had a higher than normal chance of committing suicide. And succeeding. Besides, he had made so many serious attempts before. But, society today will not let you lock up a person and throw away the key for their safety. It is inhumane. The problem was that he was smart. He knew the system. Because of his mother. Yours Truly. He knew that if you revealed your intention to harm yourself in any way, he knew what would happen. He knew it would result in his hospitalization, And, he hated that more than anything. So he kept his severe depression ultra top secret, And he hid it well. For years. He had a great sense of humor, and was always laughing and joking with his father and his friends, and watching comedy shows, and was always trying to make his mother laugh. Nobody suspected he was severely depressed and suicidal. Not his parents, not his psychiatrist., or therapist, or nurses, or counselors. No one. So, he went to his death unimpeded. He was staying in a group home in Omaha, NE, at the time of his death. His death occurred there. He died 17 May 2011 He was only 30 years old.

Some of these links may help:

I’m so sorry your son died. It must be really, really hard.
My son was diagnosed 3 years ago. He doesn’t yet believe he has an illness, so he refuses medicine.
He is 23. I understand how you feel when you said it felt like he died before that. It’s so hard to see our loved ones changed and unable to help them. I have tried so many things in the last three years. I love him dearly, but unless he wants help I am concerned about his future.

so sorry, its my worst fear my son is 39 now and on court ordered shots but he still has break thru and I stay in fear for he is my only child…its been hell for years…

hello,
I see this is an old post, but your title struck a chord with me. I too am missing my son. He has recently been
diagnosed with schizophrania and is 22 and a successful college student. However, he is decling from this illness, and
we are considering having him committed because he refuses to take any medication. It is very painful and I just want my son back, I havent’ really seen him in a year, the last time he was medicated. It is like someone new took his place that I dont even know.
How is it going with your son and how do you cope and find strentgth?

Welcome to the forum @dknut31215

I can understand you are in pain but try be strong for your son.

I feel your pain, my son is 28 years old now, he was 22 when he developed sz. and I feel the same way you do.I wish I could have my son back but that’s not going to happen the doctor’s can’t even seem to stabilize him he cries for no reason, and has a fear of being left alone, He cries every day for hours non-stop and his psych. can’t figure out what to give him, they don’t even want to hospitalize him since he’s not a danger to self or to others so I’m stuck and I feel tired it never ends. He seems to be like a little kid who throws temper tantrums and I’m the only one giving him help my husband doesn’t help me.

This is for one sad mother.

My son had the same problem.
Please read this carefully. There is much more involved in this illness than only the physical.
There is a very real spiritual side which needs to addressed. Google this name Gary Spivey
and this is the starting point.***
Also find a naturapath that uses kinesology or muscle testing (also known as energy medicine)
in determing the best natural supplements for him. Do not just go buy any supplement at the store
because he may be sensitive to additives such as magnesium stearate. and allergens such as
gluten, soy, corn, yeast etc.
Also often emotions are a result of heavy metals (lead, mercury, copper) Note high copper can appear as sadness and aggression. Zinc is very good for alleviating sadness…and bringing down high copper.
Even certain foods allergens can affect emotions and even cause psychosis…Dr Philpot wrote a book
called “BRAIN ALLERGIES”. All of these a good naturapath that does muscle testing can help.

I AM sooo sorry for your loss… things getting really bad over here and although I am not diagnosed… I also know the stats of suicide for this disease as I work in the probation department of my county… This disease sucks the life out of everyone… and my son… who will be turning 29 in April has been getting worse… i come home from work, and knowing what I know from my job… I wonder what I will walk into. because of my job and knowledge… I have many resources but because he believes he is fine, they are of no use… A friends son that has been renting in my neighborhood contacted me today because my son has not only been harassing him… but also tresspassing on my neighbors property that he rents from…he and my neighbor did not want to call the police until they spoke to me but I am at the point to get law enforcement involved as my son may then be MANDATED to get treatment… the other thing that concerns me is that law enforcement is not educated in mental illness and seems to be trigger happy these days…In addition… my son took a civil service test for correction officer and just got an interview for a good job that I hate to say… will never pass the psych exam… nor should he be working in that field…Mental illness sucks the life out of everyone touched by it!

Awee!!!

So sweet!

My son is newly diagnosed and is in treatment. I notice that he has a lot of difficulty sitting for long periods. In fact, he works in an insurance office in a sedentary job and he can’t take it any longer. He’s looking for something like bussing tables at restaurants so he can move at work. The pay will be much less but he will hopefully be able to feel better while working. If he is not out doing something, he will pace around the house because he doesn’t know what to do.

Is he on meds? Keep trying. My son came back. I feel your pain. It is torture. You are not alone. The state hospital actually helped him.

I can understand you are in pain but try be strong for your son.

I know exactly how you feel. My 24 year old son was diagnosed 4 years ago and every time I come home from work and see him smoking in the front yard, staring into space I feel a sword gash my stomach. The only way to describe what I feel sadly is like he dies everyday. This new son has regressed to almost child like. He goes everywhere with me and it breaks my heart to see this 6"4 handsome young man run out the door with me to go to CVS or Costco instead of hanging out with friends or a girlfriend which of course have all fled. I have grown to love this new over grown child but I can’t let go
Of my grief for the old son because I feel if I do I have finally let go of him and I’m not ready yet…or will I ever be?

Don’t give up! My son is 24 and was diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder when he was 22. Although he has been on the same meds (Invega Sustenna Injection) for a year, he still hears the voices. Some days are not so great, but he is improving and is fighting back. He just finished a semester in college and has signed up for martial arts. There is a constant battle regarding staying on the meds since he thinks he doesn’t need them and some days (today) I am weary of the battle. I know it will be worth it and it will worth it for you too. Keep loving him and keep exploring other options-e.g. intensive outpatient therapy groups, therapeutic arts, other meds. We are about to try a new med in the coming days and hoping it will be effective. Once my son got out three days a week for school and took up learning a new instrument, his depression and isolation lessened and he seemed more like his old self. There is a light at the end of the tunnel! Keep moving forward!

1 Like

reading you post brought back so many memories for me, its been 20 yrs since my son was diagnosed. I recall going on a course years back, called unrecognised grieving. The feelings a parent has fits perfectly with grief, and I guess we have to grieve before we can move forwards. My son had similar dreams to your son, he had recently become engaged and I remember in his speech at the engagement party, saying that now his life was set. a year later his symptoms started and he became psychotic, long story short his relationship ended after this which sent him spiralling further down the slippery slope. For many years he would not leave the house unless it was by car and he had drank at least 8 cans of beer before he left. Fast forward to today, no he is not cured but he is in a far better place now. He hasn’t drank alcohol for 13 yrs (he used to drink to help him cope) you see we heard about recovery with this came hope and by reading up recovery stories, attending seminars with presentations by people who had recovered (which again doesn’t mean cure) this really helped to give us hope for the future. He is on the right medication and has been driving his own car for the past 10 yrs, he also goes out several days a week with his dad, and to football matches and plays badminton every week with his uncle and sometimes goes to the gym. He is also the kindest, and caring person you could wish to meet. So I hope that all of these messages helps to give you hope, but your son also needs hope to help him realise that as he is today isn’t the best he can be. xx

1 Like