Family and Caregiver Schizophrenia Discussion Forum

Need help removing a violent family member


hello I recently had my older brother come stay with me and our mother. We wanted to take him off the streets and give him a home. It was established that he would have to get treatment before he came. however he is now refusing treatment is worse than before verging on violent. I need to know if there is something I can do to have him removed from the home and put into a hospital. we do not feel safe with him here and he is causing problems for the neighbors and going to get us kicked out from the appermont


I’m sorry you are going through this.

Which country do you live in?


USA I live in new mexico


The above should be a link to a place you can call and find out what to do…


I’m so sorry this is happening. We all know the feeling of trying to help someone who won’t help themselves. His doctor said we may have to get an EPO against our own son. When he said that we weren’t there and didn’t understand how that could happen. Today, Knowing what I know about this illness, I can see why he said that. You have to protect yourself first.

In my opinion, it might be time to have him involuntarily committed. If you can get him to the hospital and have a CIT officer meet you there it might go better than having him served.

Our son always does something to get himself admitted each time. I think in some ways they know when they need to be hospitalized. Have strength and know you aren’t alone. Be careful and don’t tell him what you are planning to do.


If you haven’t gotten help yet - I recommend you call this organization and tell them your situation. They have many lawyers on staff and they will generally answer any questions you have like this.

200 North Glebe Road, Suite 801
Arlington, Virginia 22203
Phone: (703)294-6001