Family and Caregiver Schizophrenia Discussion Forum

Not paranoid enough for my father

My father just told in all seriousness that the next time I set my “hot laptop” on the couch he’s going to take a hammer to it. . <---- I’m sorry but laptop’s heat is not nearly half as hot as most laptops I have used and it’s not going to start the couch on fire. I just needed to say that, because I’m going to be freaking out one day when I accidentally forget that my laptop was set on the couch and it’s just been destroyed by a man with a hammer that thinks I’m going to burn his house down.

how about you never put the laptop on the couch? Do you have a desk?! Ikea sells a portable desk really cheap.

Bateson, G., Jackson, D., Haley, J.; et al: Perceval’s Narrative: A Patient’s Account of his Psychosis, Palo Alto, CA: Stanford University Press, 1961. Etiology of schizophrenia.

Esterson, A.: The Leaves of Spring: Schizophrenia, Family and Sacrifice, London: Tavistock, 1972.

Henry, J.: Pathways to Madness, New York: Random House, 1965.

Jackson, D. (ed.): The Etiology of Schizophrenia: Genetics / Physiology / Psychology / Sociology, London: Basic Books, 1960.

Laing, R. D.; Esterson, A.: Sanity, Madness and the Family, London: Tavistock, 1964.

Lidz, T.: The Origin and Treatment of Schizophrenic Disorders, New York: Basic Books, 1973.

Lidz, T.; Fleck, S., Cornelison, A.: Schizophrenia and the Family, 2nd Ed.; New York: International Universities Press, 1985.

**You could also leave a post-it not on your computer to remind yourself not to set it on the couch.

Maybe he has a point, although he could have been nicer about it. If the couch isn’t flame retardant then maybe that’s why he’s worried.

Maybe you were taking him literally? Maybe it was a figure of speech.