Psychology Today - The Real Reason We Don't Exercise

… and why you should get your body out of its comfort zone.
Published on November 10, 2014 by Sherry Pagoto, Ph.D. in Shrink

A friend of mine came back from one of those crazy obstacle races and commented, “I’m finally used to walking around with my shoes, socks, and feet soaking wet and cold.” He said that when he first started exercising outside he had no tolerance for cold, wet shoes and socks but now that he’s had to run through swamps and mud puddles, it’s no big deal: He hardly notices.

This got me to wondering if the real reason we don’t exercise is our desire to avoid any experience of discomfort. People often say they don’t exercise because they have no time, but in the same breath talk about how much they want to get healthy, and how much they believe exercise is the path to better health. It’s a puzzling contradiction—or is it?

Theories of human behavior have long shown that immediate experience often outweighs future rewards. What this means is that it is hard to do something uncomfortable even if it earns us something good later.

BarbieBF

This is not an intentional insult.

BF = Boy Friend?

Anyway regardless of this. I agree with your ideas/theories.

Pushing one’s boundaries at any time in life is a discomforting experience, whether one is schizophrenic or not. But later one may experience a sense of achievement. A satisfaction that one has gone beyond “one’s normal state of being”.

If Barbie is so popular why do you have to BUY her friends? Is she seriously insecure or something?

BF is my initials :slight_smile: Barbie was taken on a lot of sites so I added the BF not realizing the Barbie boy friend or best friend connection… I am called Barbie and Barbie Girl by a lot of people as a nickname so it stuck and I like it.

No insult taken… I love Barbie :wink: She was my favorite toy growing up and still is.