Realistic Boundaries

We are all ridiculously hopeful, it’s our faith.

4 Likes

I went back and read what I wrote on July 6, hahaha, wow, so naive. Within 2 days he was already getting confused about his medications. He didn’t end up finding a place to live. By that Saturday I realized he needed help, as in I had to get him in an apt close to us, which we found and got him in by that next Monday, but I am paying for it at this time. He didn’t get his job back, I can only guess that they didn’t want him back due to his behavior right before he was arrested. Lost count of how many jobs he’s lost.
I check in on him twice a day now minimum. He’s got another doctor on board and we have updated his anti-anxiety med to something that actually works. He’s totally med compliant which I know I have to be super grateful for. But it’s sometimes exhausting and scary and I don’t work full time so I’m barely covering all his bills plus mine. But he’s doing okay. He worked part time for a week but then that fell through when he didn’t sleep for two days. He’s looking for another part time job, and his disability appliation is processing so fingers crossed that goes through without a denial to deal with. He wants to take his meds and he’s agreed that disability and part time work is best. The disability assistance is going to really make my life alot less stressful. But the stress never completely goes away.

2 Likes

My daughter is going to be released from jail this week. She has spent almost five months in jail. She will be on house arrest so that will cover the biggest boundaries that we wanted. Honestly, I’m glad that it will be court ordered and her Dad and i won’t immediately be the bad guys.

I’m very excited to see my daughter, but I’m also very nervous. Things with my daughter escalated very quickly. We honestly have no idea what to expect when she comes home. She will be court ordered to participate in counseling and take her medication. I’m hoping for the best but I’m also trying to be realistic. I’ve been having nightmares about her coming home. It’s such an odd position. I’m so excited but I’m also very worried. Will i ever be able to trust that she’s ok or am i always going to be worrying about her next psychosis?

2 Likes

For me, I gradually learned more about how to handle things during my son’s psychosis and that helped me make plans to deal with the next round. I think making such plans helps me switch my brain from just worrying mode to problem solving mode. What I am trying to say is that you will learn to trust your responses to her psychosis.

My son’s psychosis is triggered and we learned those triggers. Waking him up suddenly, loud noises and sadly, just seeing his dad, all trigger psychosis for him.

So glad that your attorney did manage to make house arrest and med compliance a part of the release package. We have families that have had their lives changed by such support from the judicial system.

2 Likes

@hope Thanks so much for your reply. It amazes me that you can remain positive and supportive with all that you’ve been through. Your compassion and wisdom is very much appreciated.

We are very grateful that the court system is trying to help my daughter. She’s been in jail for five months and has been medication complaint for at least four. I’m still not sure she understands that something is wrong. However, she does say that she’s going to take her medication so she doesn’t have to go back to jail. Baby steps. I’ll take whatever wins i can get for now.

I worry about what might trigger my daughter. My biggest fear is that it might be my husband. She was very nasty to him during her psychosis. She accused him of a lot of things and sent him some very hurtful messages. I pray that isn’t the case when she comes home. I’m not sure how he will survive that. They have always had such a good relationship.

Again, thanks so much for your support. I hope your son is doing ok.

2 Likes

Hi @IndyMom , I totally understand. My daughter was not ever willingly compliant until this year. In 2018, when she was in court, the judge ordered meds as part of the deal if she was to be released from jail. Later, charges were dropped and a deputy came to tell her that, however, she didn’t realize that that meant she didn’t HAVE to stay on her medicine, and I NEVER told her it wasn’t court required any more. Thank God! She has been medicated now on a shot for years and only recently can talk to me openly about her “crazy years” as she calls them. It took years on medication for her to gain insight. It helped her slowly to come out of her psychoses, delusions and hallucinations (she still has voices but can keep them in “a little box in her head” which are her words to me). So do not expect that your daughter will suddenly see her illness.

1 Like

How are things going? I’ve finally stopped having nightmares and waking up with anxiety attacks. My son has been stable on his meds for almost 6 months now. I don’t have to physically check on him everyday but I see him a couple of times a week and call him when it’s time to take his meds. He was just recently referred to mental health court for his run in with the cops. I hope this means they will drop the charges. He goes in for that next week. He’s doing about as well as can be expected. He was working part time but then they just let him go with no reason. He’s not the same as he used to be, he used to be so smart and on the ball and now he struggles at times and gets confused about things that he would never had had a problem with. I wonder if that’s why he can’t keep a job. It’s hard to know when I’m not there. He shows up for work on time/early.
I found him a new psychatrist and he really likes this guy. I like him too, he’s discussed lowering his dosage a bit as it’s a little high but he is going to take that slow. I pretty much go to all his appointments with him and he’s seeing his PCP monthly as she’s sending a monthly report to the court. Hopefully that all ends soon and if his disabilty is approved that will help so much. We can’t have him living with us, and I wanted him to be as close to us as possible so it’s costing me $2000/month to keep him in a place. But the peace of mind it gives us, and we all have our space and privacy, it makes it worth it.

1 Like

I’m so happy to hear that things are stable for your son. Sadly, I fear that’s the most we can hope for. My daughter is also stable. Her case was transferred to the behavioral court after she spent almost six months in jail. For now, she is doing everything they ask because she does not want to go back to jail. Luckily, that includes taking her medication. Unfortunately, she still hasn’t given me access to her psychiatrist. I do have a HIPPA form with the court though so i get some information. If she completes their program, which should take about a year, her felony will be dropped to a misdemeanor. Steep price to pay for a IG post. She is working PT at a gas station. Not the best job and she can’t support herself, but she is working. She’s living with us, but so far she’s grateful and has not been disruptive. Like your son, she is not the same. She gets easily overwhelmed and can only focus on one thing at a time. She’s focused on working and so far not willing to discuss applying for disability. I definitely was not prepared for parenting to be this hard at this stage.

1 Like