Family and Caregiver Schizophrenia Discussion Forum

Some things to help us be prepared

https://m.facebook.com/notes/momi-mothers-of-the-mentally-ill/general-help-for-families-supporting-loved-ones-with-smi/410446346375267/

1 Like

This is a really amazing list. Very helpful.

1 Like

@Day-by-Day, I thought so too. I knew about a couple of items on the list (MAMI, ACT team and some of the books mentioned), but most of the items, I felt, were very resourceful. For people who are new to all of this, or for the “seasoned” caregiver, this article covers quite a bit.

Yes @mbheart, it even mentions Clubhouses, which we were recently talking about on another thread.

And of course, anosognosia…

Solid wood or steel bedroom door, dead bolt or dead stop and a 357 magnum. Only way to sleep soundly…

minimize caffeine so they aint wondering the house all night…

plenty of cigs, NEVER run out of cigs…

never run out of food or they will go find some…

buy them a cat…

cleaning service once every two weeks

24/7 tv

minimize or eliminate social media, the devil lives there…

NEVER over react to the insanity, NEVER yell or scream, play along with the current delusions… Never disagree with them.

zero tolerance for shooting H or F, send them out of state for 6 months…

1 Like

I use Arlo Pro 2, 10 camera wireless with night vision for long distance surveillance…

full perimeter fence with gate to prevent walk aways…

clear instructions for after death, I keep a running doc on the wall for whoever, manage assets after my death, attorneys on retainer…

find time for yourself or you will not make it…

I use walmart pick up services to eliminate the need to ever go in store.

all meds auto renewals, auto pay, auto ship, reduces stress of the meds thing, distance management once on maintenance meds…

Very lucky as only do doc once every 6 months

Shoot the invaga yourself, save time and money