Son at home becoming violent

How many years is that for you on the forum? I celebrated my second cake day a little while back.

It feels like 5 years but it’s just my second. I’m sure you can relate.

Time flies when you’re having fun? I guess so.

Longest 2 years of my life. But this forum has been amazing.

Happy belated to you @hope.

Thanks Day-by-Day:) - scz does make for long years. My time is a short time compared to many here. I am so grateful for the wisdom of the “oldsters” and the fresh views of our newest members. Every one of us has so much that can help others. Just knowing others are out there trudging along each day trying to win back their lives and their family members lives does make a difference for me.

That little picture of cake day cake always makes me want :cake:

3 Likes

@hope any Jeb sitings? How’s he doing? Funny, I always thought your name was really Hope. You don’t have to reveal that : )

Hello friend:) I would love to see Jeb, wouldn’t that be great? At least when he lived here I could lay eyes on him. Every couple of months, or so he will text if he needs something. He did text recently for info he needed and I still get teary thinking about it. Even though it’s hard, I am grateful that being away from us is working for him. It’s terrible to be one of your child’s psychosis triggers I am a little nervous, the moon will be at its closest point later this month. I hope he can get through it okay. No situation ever works forever for the unmedicated. Yeah, it’s hope with a small H :wink:

Your son’s response to meds is totally awesome- makes me think maybe some day

1 Like

@hope I was a trigger as well or the imposter of me was. I’m glad you can track him as you do and glad he is in text touch so you know he is ok. You are lucky to have his brother in the same town.

Yes - glad the meds are working but so fearful of the day he stops and I know he will. But for now, we are doing ok. He still has a lot of the negative symptoms like not cleaning but I can live with that.

Did you ever do anything to the apartment - like a reading or sewing room? Or did you rent it out?

2 Likes

Hope, thanks for the head up about the moon later this month. Can’t wait. Ugh.

I’m glad to hear your son is hanging in there, and you are too.

1 Like

After we had it repaired, we have rented it out twice for short term leases. I have fixed it up for Airbnb, each time before I can get it online someone shows up wanting it short term. When the current tenant leaves I am going to try again. Really don’t want someone living out there long term.

In the meantime just waiting for the next shoe.

It seems like we all are. I’m always looking for signs. Here’s a quote I try to read daily. I guess it reminds me that others have heavy burdens as well.

There is also a story I have been told about a guy/woman/whoever goes to heaven to ask god for a smaller cross to bear. He looks and looks and finally finds one that is smaller than the others and god says - that’s the one you came in with.

Are you still keeping up with all that running you were doing?

5 Likes

Thanks so much DianeR, I try to remember when I feel sad that we are NOT in crisis right now and I should be grateful. My current cross is a very light one compared to many. I realize Jeb’s days are what I consider to be nightmares, I must be patient and believe that all things will work toward good.

As to working out - it’s had the laugh on me. I did stick through the 6 months of not dieting and worked out 60 minutes nearly every day. Turns out “they” are correct I muscle just as well as I did in my 20’s. Nice to know hormonal changes leave some things alone.

The fat has come off very, very slowly as I have not been dieting. Starting in January I upped it to 90 minutes of exercise in order to try to remove the fat - the really good news was that at 90 minutes (still doing Pilates (with straight legs now:) an arm and a buttock workout finishing off the 90 minutes with an elliptical or walking or running- the fat is finally coming off more like my younger years. I am about to turn 59, so I cannot complain.

I saw my doctor and he was not surprised, it’s 60 minutes to maintain - 90 to lose.

I look really really really forward to getting back to just the 60 minutes.

How have you been doing with your workouts?

1 Like

@hope - That is impressive! You must feel really good. I went the diet route. I still walk 10K steps a day except for the last few days (under 10 degrees). The exercises are just to help my hips - which some days seem better than others. Interesting to know about the 60 to maintain and 90 to loose. I didn’t know that.

@DianeR I am so glad you have stuck with your 10k steps! Thanks, I do feel so much stronger, my body had really gotten away from me while I was on the “back burner” for five years. I don’t think I could have started with 90 minutes a day and been able to stick with it.

Hopefully in less than 6 months I can report fat greatly reduced and go back to 60 minutes. I plan to schedule a mobile “bod pod” to figure out where exactly I am on fat ratio.

2 Likes

And you can but don’t have to fund a Special Needs Trust before you die. In your Will or 401(k) (latter requires release from a spouse if there is one) you can leave any assets you desire to the Special Needs Trust on behalf of your loved one, and the Trustee(s) that you name would manage the funds for the benefit of your loved one. The attorney would help you with the details and various ways to set this up. You might need to consider with the Attorney how to handle Required Minimum Distributions, if that applies.

1 Like

Oh, what a nice quote. (Hey I just discovered that the little arrow up top of the quote takes you to the original post being quoted from!) I copied it to my desktop, now if I can only figure out how to make it my screensaver.

I woke up to the police knocking on my door the other night. They were looking for the tenant who lives in the back of my home. It wasn’t for my husband or my daughter, and in fact, made me realize how long it’s been now since the police were at my home… zero times this year so far, compared to probably 30 times last year with jail twice for my husband and once for my daughter…

But my tenant in the back apartment is emotionally battling for months now with his ex-wife on meth. The police came because he supposedly isn’t supposed to have his kids with him (beautiful girls) … So what is worse, the tenant’s alcoholism or the ex-wife’s meth… ? Oh, life… the police made him give his kids back to his ex-wife, even though it’s his weekend to have them…

We’re not the only people with issues! So many troubles in this world!

2 Likes

It cost me about that also

you should get your son to go to a group home…it would be good for him…it will give him some structure and also he’ll meet people he relates to

just ask your pdoc or the mental health team.

Update: they brought him home Sunday night at 10:30. Said that the place he was at had sewage problems. He’s been with me since then.
I’m trying to find a place for him to go, but they are all full. He has private coverage (Kaiser) as well as medi-cal. Would it be better to take him off Kaiser? There does not seem to be very many available board and care facilities. Only room and board. What has your experience been?

Cher,
You’re right. You can’t live like this. It’s not a good situation for either of you.

I wonder if he had his meth delivered? Still, you think you would have smelled it. No matter how he used it, I think meth is especially dangerous for someone with a mental illness. I’m not surprised he got violent.

Please be safe. I agree w the poster who said talk to a social worker at the hospital. No he can’t come home, but of course you still love him. It’s a terrible disease. When my Sz husband got violent to me, I was TERRORFIED and shocked. I would never put myself in that position again. But it was hard to kick him out of our home. You are doing the right thing.

(Just saw your update. I hope things are going more smoothly for you. Good luck in finding long term treatment and housing options for your son.)

1 Like

I’m new here my son 17 I have 4 kids my older son move out because the situacion nothing change he getting worse don’t know what to do he been diagnostics adhd now he been taking med for squizofrenia he said I raped him really hurt because I was sexually abused my self i know the feeling I been depress eat me inside my son said that about me he call my daughter bitch my little one day basrard retard don’t know what to do I love him but can’t continued like this getting sick my self i was just searching try to find something useful i see alot peoples with similar poblem God bless everyone’s hope one day they find the cured for this

1 Like