Son hospitalized today

Hello,
I am so glad this group is here.
I just want to write this since I don’t have too many people who get it.
My son has been isolating more and more all summer. He started high school last week and I think the stress was too much.The short version is he put his foot through a window pane, texted that he was going to cut me, also
Put hs foot through another window and ended up in the psych ER.

Now he is in an adolescent behavioral unit. I am so tired and confused.

He says he doesn’t know what is wrong with himself. He is obsessed with finding a girl he knew in 3rd grade and only she could make him happy again. I don’t even recignize the name. Luckily she is in TX and we are in NY.

His new pdoc added in Adderall last year. It was only 10 mg., but things started getting weird, then he put him on Wellbutrin, and that may have made it worse.
I hope this hospitalization will help figure out what is going on! He is only 14 and has been through too much of this.

Thank you for listening!

Hummingbird, it’s so hard and frightening and sad to see our children in such an awful state. We all understand. We are listening. You’re not alone.

I hope your boy will be in a better and safer state soon. Good luck to you all.

Thank you. This forum is a good place to realize so many of us are out here.

Will be thinking of you. I hope you can at least get some relief knowing he is somewhere safe and getting the care that he needs. Stay strong and keep us posted. hugs

That must be really hard to live through!
Even harder to witness your son struggle so much!

14 is a tough age for anyone. But you were definitely right in getting him psychological help, his reasoning doesn’t seem very rational. -He- may not understand his rationalizations or his actions himself, and that is probably really scary for him.

Keep encouraging him to be honest with his doctors. He needs to help them so that they can help him.

I hope things get better for your son, and that the right meds are found for him.

Thank you for the encouraging replies!

He is so much calmer in the hospital. They are putting him back on Depakote, which worked well for him in the past. His new pdoc (at home)took him off mood-stabilizers, which seemed like a mistake to me.
The hospital psychiatrist is confused because he tells her conflicting things. Welcome to my world!:slight_smile:

Looking back, this has been building up for a while. He tweeted crazy insulting things to Donald Trump, and asked to be deported to Canada. He has online friends in Canada. I wonder if we are on some kind of watch list now!

Thanks again…trying to stay oositive. At least we are getting new input in medication.

I assure you that you and your family are not on a watch list for voicing opinions, no matter what political alignment they fall under. If not for the moral implications alone, then for the sheer volume of information on the internet. There is nobody sifting through massive amounts of data just to find criticism. There are things like hurricanes, war and trade negotiations to keep officials too busy for the next thousand years.

Anyway,
Glad he seems to be doing better. Also glad you seem to have some more peace of mind for yourself.
The contradictions and inconsistency aren’t at all rare for someone in hospitalization. Likely, there are things he is either embarrassed to talk about and also things that haven’t occured to him internally. The same difficulty we all would have when asked to describe ourselves.

Don’t beat yourself up over hindsight. We all certainly have learned many lessons about Sz / SzA from hindsight and most of those lessons would have been much more helpful in advance.
You honestly care and honestly try.
That’s all that matters.

Now that you mention it, you are right that there are a lot bigger things going on than a troubled 14 year old trying to goad the president into deporting him to Canada.

What is your son’s diagnosis? Really sorry you are all suffering. I have dealt with a lot of psychiatrists over the past 22 years and am sorry to say I don’t have a lot of confidence in them. I hope the docs can find the right combination of meds so your son won’t suffer anymore. I will say prayers for you.

Have you looked into NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) support groups? There is also a NAMI-Basics educational class offered in some places for families who have an under age 18 child with mental illness. Go to NAMI.org or https://www.nami.org/Find-Support/NAMI-Programs/NAMI-Basics

I also know of a teenager with a SZ diagnosis who has learned to better recognize which voices are real and which are not. CBT therapy is one method to learn that skill to help manage one’s illness. I know this is hard. This Forum is a place to learn from others experiences, to vent, and to obtain encouragement.

He has had a few diagnoses, but I ended up on this forum because of what they called “Psychosis NOS”.

When he was younger he said he heard a voice telling him to do bad things. Now he denies it, but last spring when he was put on Wellbutrin he told me he saw “figures” in the corner of his eyes. He will only tell the psychiatrist that he is depressed, and says he just heard voices a couple of years.
He doesn’t want the pdoc to ever lower his Geodon, and he is very pro-medication, so in that way I feel incredibly lucky.
I visited him yesterday and he seemed pretty good. Fingers crossed!

hummingbird,
I just want to throw in a message of encouragement here. Ages 13-15 were the worst years for my son. But by age 16, we finally had a more definitive diagnosis and more effective medication than in prior years. For quite awhile I mourned that he would never get to have the normal experiences that teens and young adults have. If this illness had to happen to him, I wished it could be postponed until adulthood at least. But that is now how it unfolded, and now I can see a silver lining in the timing of his illness:

Since my son, like yours, was young enough to still be in school and living at home under our care, he became accustomed to taking his medications daily and to having his mother organize his appointments, meds, etc. He is now 23 years old and still taking his medications reliably. And they are still working – keeping him safe and stable. I really think one of the reasons he has not rebelled against medications is: he started taking them young enough and has been taking them long enough that it just seems normal. So that’s a silver lining, and I’m grateful for it.

I’m hoping for a good outcome for your son, and for you.

@okra Thank you so much! It is a huge relief that he is pro-medication. He says he has always had strange feelings, but it got really bad in third grade. When I read the forums of diagnosed adults, quite a few of them say that they had symptoms as kids. I am a little surprised that more psychiatrists don’t seem to know that.

I am glad your son is doing pretty well. It is mot an easy life for our kids.

Interesting that your son remembers 3rd grade as the time when things got really bad. My son was in 3rd grade when he began hearing voices. That was a scary year and very isolating. None of my friends were dealing with anything remotely similar, so no support.

I’m glad you found this forum. It helps to know you’re not alone.

So sorry you and your son are suffering. Sounds so much like my situation. My son punched a wall & fridg this week and has a cast on his hand. Last week, he smashed my head against bricks at an outdoor restaurant and almost put me threw a glass window. I yelled for help and people came running. He remains obsessed with 2 girls from high school although he’s 22 & has been out of school 4 years. He blames me for not being able to see them and “ruining his life.” The stress is literally killing me. Found out this week that I have a bleediing ulcer, colitis. And esophagitis. Haven’t held anything down all month. Good luck and may God bless you and your son Always.

I am ao sorry @Marymom. That sounds similar to my son, although he has mistly just been threatening violence lately.
Does your son live with you? I am hoping to fnd some type of assisted living for my son if he is not better after high school. I think I trigger him too much.

My husband and I have been through a lot with our 36 yr old son, he was in jail for a year for assaulting my husband, his dad! he got back on meds after he was released and it lasted a couple of years but now back to noncompliant. he’s being evicted from his apartment this week, all his neighbors are afraid of him because how he acts at times. talking to himself, hearing voices. it’s not easy, we’ve been dealing with it since he was 24 yr old. nobody in the family talks about it, it’s up to my husband and I to try and help him. it’s a sad deal, horrible disease!

I am sisorry to hear how much your son is struggling. I hope better times are ahead.