SSI and Medicaid Assistance Questions

What do you do if your family member is refusing to take medication, refuses/ can’t work, and refuses to get assistance from the government. My fiancé’s brother currently lives with us along with his mom who has no ambition to get him help and this is the hardest thing to deal with, my fiancé and I would rather take the lead on this. Any tips?

In our experience, while our son was unmedicated and very ill, there was no way he could participate in the process of applying for disability, whether he wanted to or not. This illness often causes brain damage, and severe challenges with executive functioning.

To get the SS benefits process going, you’re going to have to do all the leg work (getting the paperwork done, etc.), so that when the time comes, your ill loved one just has to say “yes” over the phone to a SS representative.

Good luck.

2 Likes

My son would never have done it, but signed the form to allow me to do it on his behalf.

2 Likes

I am extremely late but very grateful for your response. Thank you for the feedback as you know this is an incredibly trying experience. Good luck to you too.