Family and Caregiver Schizophrenia Discussion Forum

Supplements that have helped with my schizophrenia (almost fully in remission now)

Supplements that have helped my positive symptoms:

Amyloban 3399, a potent form of Lion’s Mane:

Rating: 9/10 (only -1 due to the price of $110 Canadian a month)

I had 3/10 voices when I began taking it, where it was mostly quiet if I was concentrating on music, videos, or reading something, but if I was in silence or next to white noise I would hear voices. After 3 full days of it my voice intensity was down to 0.3/10, where I can’t hear any voices even if I try. Only the occasional blip was heard, but I was also on 12 mg Paliperidone (the max dose.)

I’m now at 3 weeks, and I’ve been able to stop my Paliperidone completely due to the dramatic reduction in positive symptoms I’ve experienced (please don’t do this without a doc’s approval.) I’m still on Abilify 10 mg for thought broadcasting, but I might not even need that. Abilify doesn’t cause many side effects for me so I think I’ll stick with it.

I’m feeling quite good with the medication reduction, my brain doesn’t feel like it’s too fast and I don’t feel like I’m living in a computer simulation like what happened last time I tried to reduce it that much. My brain feels blissfully slow, and I have few intrusive thoughts now.

I’m going to switch to a more affordable brand of Lion’s Mane from elsewhere (I don’t want to shill and give out a website) once I run out, but I’m feeling like I’ll be normal or close to normal by then. I don’t think this has to be taken forever, since it actually heals the brain. I would start with Amyloban 3399 though, since it has a known potency. Other brands have who-knows-what in them.

Lion’s Mane works by increasing Nerve Growth Factor in the brain, which may heal the damage that is causing schizophrenia symptoms.

There is a study showing that it works on refractory schizophrenics. Another study had a person go from a PANSS (positive and negative schizophrenia symptoms) score of 62 (moderately ill) to 30 (normal) in two weeks of taking it.

Niacinamide:

Rating: 6/10 (seems to work better than placebo at taking the edge off the voices)

It’s cheap and moderately effective. It tilts tryptophan metabolism away from kynurenic acid formation by increasing the amount of kynurenine 3-monooxygenase formed. Excessive kynurenic acid is one of the hypothesized causes of schizophrenic symptoms now, since it is a potent NMDA antagonist.

Downside is you have to keep taking it. It does increase brain-derived neurotrophic factor so there may be some cumulative benefit to it.

Supplements that I’ve tried but didn’t make much difference:

Ashwagandha: Didn’t feel much calmer. Not a huge difference. Kind of placebo-ish.

Sarcosine: I felt a little more energetic, but the prostate cancer correlation made me stop taking it.

N-Acetylcystine: Not a life changer. Felt somewhat calmer?

Glycine: Not a huge change, felt somewhat more energetic.

6 Likes

Thank you. I’ve never heard of Lion’s Mane. I have heard that niacin or niacinamide might help. I guess I should try to get my daughter on supplements again, now that she is medicated she is more agreeable to suggestions that are good for her.

1 Like

Can you share the study that you have found? I’m interested in other ways to help my son recover.

1 Like

The studies are available as hyperlinks on my post. Here are the study URLs:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S2186495014000145

and:

1 Like

This really excites me! I love to hear of innovative approaches that are working for people. Although I don’t have schizophrenia, I do take lion’s mane and can attest to the positive benefits for memory and focus. My daughter is schizophrenic so I will definitely look into this.

2 Likes

This is interesting information. My son is living at the hospital right now and I have absolutely no influence over what meds he gets. I do know that are not the least interested in letting him take simple vitamins to enhance his health. He got them to give him 1000 of VIt D and Vit C daily but wouldn’t give him B vitamins or good quality fish oil, supplements he was taking at home. He has also learned that he can’t even talk about alternative treatments while he is there- it makes them suspicious that he will not be med compliant when he leaves.
Between that and the lack of really good food, his physical health is taking a hit. We were all so thankful that he was recovering and doing well at the hospital initially, and he still is, but it’s frustrating when he wants to take more control over and interest in his health and the roadblocks are so big.
It’s a journey- but I’m still wanting to learn more about alternative/additional treatments.

3 Likes

My daughter had been on homeopathic remedies and with the first doctor’s choices she made incredible strides in behavior improvement. More with a second doctor who is internationally renown and have her new remedies.
I switched because my daughter progressed really far with the first doctor and she needed to go further in her symptom reduction.
Her symptoms were outrageous in that she would regularly run around with no clothes on.
That changed to doing repeated behaviors of knocking on people’s doors all day long. Or other things depending on the surroundings.
One of the new remedies is Kali phos.6x, it is written that it is great for the brain and can help in neuron repair. We shall see, but she is back to reading and writing and doing normal things. No supplements since she refuses them and no meds since she refuses those too, even though involuntary hospitalization has been frequent. She can’t see her illness and will not even talk about it. She has a genius IQ and I think that she cannot see that someone with her level of education would have this illness, even though the illness does not show favor to anyone at any level.

3 Likes

I bought some homeopathics for my daughter that are aimed at helping sz, however, since she doesn’t know she has sz, she thinks they are for help with female problems (one of the remedies is for that). Yet, she has taken none of them in the past 4 months.

Recently, she has started making herself protein shakes (she makes them herself, only, not from me). I bought a really good flavor powder from BioTrust. She has a sketchy eating habit, so this I think is good.

1 Like

Amyloban is derived from lions mane

1 Like

The biggest problem with lions mane is people always get the worst quality because they think Paul statements is like Jesus
But in actuality host defense sucks .
Simply because of what it’s grown on
Anything grown on rice or oats
Is going to be bad quality
The difference is night and day when you can get your hands on a good lions mane product…

1 Like

I agree wholeheartedly. I’ve tried several different ones and his was the weakest for me at least

1 Like

Have you tried the Amyloban 3939 stuff?

1 Like

Stamets mushrooms are full of the mycelium, the starchy base that mushrooms are grown from, which is basically filler. He saves a ton of money using that, instead of the fruiting body of the mushroom, which is what Amyloban 3399 uses.

I found another Lion’s Mane source that works just as good as Amyloban 3399, which uses the fruiting body. It’s from Realmushrooms.com.

This is the one: https://shop.realmushrooms.com/collections/organic-mushroom-extracts/products/organic-lions-mane-extract-capsules

I am on month two of taking Lions Mane and my voices are so quiet I was able to reduce my Max Paliperidone dosage (12 mg) to 3 mg pretty safely. Only adjust meds with a psychiatrists approval, by the way.

2 Likes

The better question I should say
Does Amyloban 3399
Compare with wild crafted lions mane?

0 Likes

Does amyloban3399 use the fruitingbody as well without grain? Or oats?

1 Like

Amyloban 3399 is without grain filler. It has scientific studies supporting its use for treatment resistant schizophrenia (links in my first post).

1 Like

Well we’ve been taking wild crafted lions mane for a while now
It works wonders
And we’ve been microdosing psylocibin
Also working wonders with vitamin b complex support which Paul statements recommends…
My partner is doing better overall completely
No sign of schizophrenia what so ever
The biggest challenge is antipsychotic withdrawal which includes akathasia dystonia and dyskinesia
She got her last shot of invega sustenna February 5
And will be her last shot
We would of wished to gotten another shot reduction
But the psychiatrist did not want to work with us out of ignorance.

1 Like

Congrats, but you should really get the pdoc’s nod before trying supplements.

Is wild crafted lions mane made with the fruiting body?

Check out this thread on the other schizophrenia forum about Amyloban 3399, it has helped three people nullify their voices so far:

1 Like

She was on 78mg of invega sustenna before going cold turkey…

0 Likes

Yes it is
It’s actually really amazing stuff

0 Likes