Tell us how you are today?

Hi Day-by-Day, I have been confused by the thread. We didn’t expand Medicaid to reach to people above the poverty level - that is true - it still requires poverty level based on the state declared poverty limits. Other states did make it possible for people above the poverty level to qualify for assistance.

I think my confusion was that when I requested Medicaid for Jeb as the meeting with SS after they had made the decision that he qualified for ssdi and ssi, they asked about his current insurance continuing. Could be I didn’t understand why they were asking at the time. I lock up mentally around Social Security, I still get too tense each time a letter arrives, I have to make myself open the letters.

Any positive changes that are occurring in Texas are focused on the major cities - most of Texas geographically is small towns and counties where people get the same response we got when we asked for help. Statewide they should be applying the law changes that allow judges to order forced meds. If you look at the treatment advocacy center web page you will see that Texas receives a grade of “F” in using the laws.

Where my son lives now has actual CIT officers - from what I understand from the families who live there, if you get lucky you might get a CIT officer.

Day to Day. Disabled before 22, I believe, st least in my state automatically qualifies a person for Medicaid, provided, no Home is owned, and assets are less than 2000$. When my husband died, she received survival benefits rather than SSDI which she just began to receive a month before he died.

Here is what I have learned:
Regarding SSDI:
if NOT disabled before 22 - which can be difficult to argue for some of our family members - a person cannot get SSDI from a parent’s work history. My son has been denied for that, I am weighing the benefits of following up for the hearing vs. just leaving him on SSI.

Regarding private insurance after age of 26:
My son is past 26, but was able to remain on my private insurance. This is determined by the insurance plan you are on. If your family member is approaching that age and is on your insurance, you might want to look into what your policy supports and make sure you have everything they might ask for.

Regarding relationship between SSI and Medicaid:
Most states AUTOMATICALLY enroll a person in Medicaid if they qualify for SSI, but some do not. I happen to live in a state that requires separate application. Financial restrictions also differ in this state regarding the amount of money he can have in savings.

Cerium, where did the survivor benefits come from? Are those benefits the reason SSDI wasn’t granted? If so, I sure hope the survivor benefits were higher than what SSDI would’ve been.

I’ve had to make sure my relatives are all clear that my son cannot inherit or be gifted money. If he does, he’ll lose his SSI, and more importantly, his Medicaid. Anything he gets needs to go into his Special Needs Trust.

Hi there. My husband, daughters father passed away suddenly. Yes, it was more than the SSDI. I would take less, actually zero to have my husband back here.

That’s awful. Yes, I’m sure you’d give absolutely everything to have him back. I’m so sorry.

Thank you. Day by day. I would.

Exhaustipated….too tired to give a crap. We have had several good months during which my mom was diagnosed with Alzheimer dementia. She is mild moving into moderate. As mom declines son’s paranoia increases and hubbys GAD goes into overdrive. Normally I just go with the flow…but I really want a vacation (as much work as camping with grandchildren is, it still is a vacation). So all 3 of them are being a PITA and I have lost my cool calm demeanor and this week yelled at them all. Would like to say it cleared the air, but you know all it has done for the three of them is reinforced the idea I am the one with a problem!! Next time I will not clue them in with vacation plans. I will just leave a note and disappear :sunglasses:

lol - I so love the idea of leaving a note and disappearing next time I need a serious break

When we were building the garage apartment for Jeb and he kept insisting he would not live out there and my husband kept freaking out about Jeb saying that and adding to my stress. I finally told my husband “One of us WILL be moving out there, if might be ME!”

I’m so sorry for your loss, Cerium.

Thank you, banana1. Me too😖

Lol, A vacation sounds so nice. Have fun with the grandkids, sometimes we just need a break from mental illness.

Sori for your loss life isn’t guaranteed as we see ,keep your chin up😄