To the Moon and Back

I just finished on the other thread when we heard a boom. Jeb approached the house and tore down one of our security cameras. We checked the feed back on the camera. He went back to his porch and began yelling at us. We think he either fisted the garage door (the boom) or he threw the camera at it.

So here it is again. this stupid moon theory. He has been quiet. Our first warning sign had been him going to refill his lorazepam the day before yesterday. That same day we saw on camera that he had looked into our garage - we think to see if we were home. Now he is texting the abusive accusations .

We don’t know if the damaged camera will be enough for the sheriff to attempt an arrest.

1 Like

@Jan @Hereandhere

I cannot believe we are back in this situation. Husband wants to shoot him if he emerges from his apartment. I have husband pacing from window to window to peer out. Jeb is texting accusations and says “you’re stepping it up because you know I’m leaving”. He has told us he is moving out.

He has texted he will call the police. My only response to him has been “I think you should call the police” - twice now in response to each time he has texted it.

I had really hoped that his delusion that we are “making him live here” would go away with our offering him a place to rent somewhere else - of course it wouldn’t, he just confabulated his current psychosis to be a retaliation to him telling us he is moving away. Until whatever hit the garage door hit, I thought maybe this moon stuff was going to prove false.

We haven’t called the sheriff because last time they were pretty clear that Jeb had to do more to be arrested. He can’t just throw a giant rock at me, he has to hit me with a rock. He can be out on our property outside of our house yelling at us (none of it has been a threat he just yells for us to stop harassing him and calls us names) because the sheriff says outside our house is common property for his tenancy and there is no law against being crazy. Deputy’s words, not mine.

1 Like

Jeb has texted for us to please leave the house and let him get to sleep. Not good - lack of sleep due to psychosis is a bad situation.

1 Like

Hope, how you are both coping with this situation is beyond me. I don’t understand how what he’s doing isn’t seen as threatening behaviour and vandalism. While I’m sure you don’t want your son arrested, it seems as though that is the only option to get him treatment where you are. If a stranger went on your property, damaged your home and threw a rock at you, would the sheriff respond the same way? It’s appalling the prisons are full of people who have a mental illness, but from what you say this is the only option for some kind of treatment. Did you say your son has never been hospitalised? How is that possible? He is very unwell and needs medical help. Please be safe.

2 Likes

Damage to property. Have you filed an MIW on Your son at the local court house. Here, that will send a Sheriff to your home to transport to the nearest psychiatric crisis hospital. There they must hold him 72 hours and then if they see him a danger to self or others he can be hospitalized. He does need to be in the hospital IMO. It has already reached damage to property. I’m sorry and I wish I could hug you right now. We are here.

2 Likes

Mental Inquest Warrant? I will try. Would figure he would finally do something real during a holiday. What I have done is put a call in to our only sheriff’s department mental health officer. They said he won’t call back until tomorrow. Courthouse is closed - I will go there tomorrow and find out if I can file such a warrant. We haven’t ventured out for pictures of the camera, but we do have him on video tearing it down. We need it as evidence but are not willing to expose ourselves by going outside and getting the picture. That said of our house he has a full view of from his windows. We don’t want to appear to instigate him in any way to keep the situation clear.

Yes that he has already reached damage to property this morning, has us highly concerned and on guard. If things go as they have the last two perigees, this episode will be worse than the December episode. I so badly want to get him hospitalized.

Good advice @Mom2 thanks for the hug and for being there.

3 Likes

@Sanatorium23 we thought we had a chance to have him arrested last month when he threw the big rock mentioned in this thread. We called 911 and the deputy told us it wasn’t enough. If we lived 2 counties over the rock throwing would have been enough to get him hospitalized.

The laws vary so much from state to state and from county to county. We live in a rural county.

Apparently, to the sheriff’s office, our son being a tenant on our property confuses the issue.

Jeb has never been hospitalized for his scz. His scz has access to his cognition and uses it. He just ran a several months long scam on a psychiatrist with a lot of experience with scz.

I know what you mean about running a scam. My husband has a lot of insight into his illness and can make himself very believable when avoiding doctors and treatment. He did this a lot in the past, but is much more accepting of his illness now and understands he needs help and won’t get it if he lies about what he’s really experiencing.
I can’t offer much advice as I don’t know the system where you are, but if you need evidence of damage, and you taking pictures triggers your son, could you get someone else to take them? If what’s been damaged is insured could your insurance company do it and estimate the cost of the damage? Again, I don’t know the system where you are, but usually the higher the price of the damage, the more seriously they take it. Unfortunately damage to property is often valued more highly than damage to people.

1 Like

I’m sure it’s no solace for you to know you were right about the moon cycles.
I hope you are able to get him hospitalized. You will. You are learning how to deal w the county’s onerous
rules and regulations. With your determination, you will get him the help he needs.
I know it’s not funny, but the idea of your husband threatening to shoot him if he leaves his apt, amused me. The desperation of such situations leads us to some dark thoughts sometimes.

1 Like

It does lead us to dark places and humour. I found that funny too. The way Hope described it gave me a real mental picture.

1 Like

I know right? When Jeb’s having a bad day it can feel like a Whack a Mole game to me. We can laugh and keep our guard up, or huddle in the corner afraid. I had to explain to him again, that he cannot shoot at Jeb unless Jeb breaks into our home. The deputy who came last month was clear. Jeb must break in and there must be evidence he broke in, then we can call 911 and they can arrest him. Deputy says he must commit an arrest-able offense. Husband is calmer now, thank goodness. Jeb has been quiet for a couple of hours. He must have managed to fall asleep.

4 Likes

If your husband is really planning to threaten to or use a gun, please talk to him about taking a non-lethal shot. Leg? Arm? Probably leg to stop any fights.

I just can’t see him actually firing a gun. He is totally inexperienced with guns, which is really scary for me for him to be even touching one. He did go outside to look for the camera since we have not heard from Jeb in a couple of hours. We wanted a picture of it broken for tomorrow. The camera is totally missing. Husband checked its value online - $50. I wonder if that will be too small a value?

1 Like

Update - Jeb left at some point during the night. We believe he is going to look for a place to live somewhere else.

My son punched the security system panel on New Years Eve. He said he didn’t think that would break it, that he thought it would take a sledge hammer to break it.

@hope Wow! That is something. If he heads to Boulder CO let me know as I can keep an eye out for him. (pretty pricey out here however).

I cried and cried yesterday. My son has been taking his meds, but I think he needs an adjustment, which will probably be a battle.

I doubt my tears were really about the broken security panel - but really about broken hearts and broken dreams.

1 Like

The broken dreams are hard to live with, and yet we have to live with them all the same. I am so sorry, I hope that it was just the moon issue and he doesn’t need a med adjustment.

I saw several terrible stories in the paper, awful, just awful.

1 Like

He would love to live in Colorado, way beyond his means I suspect. HIs annual hiking and camping trip always starts in Colorado.

I did see the big ol’ moon as I was driving home from his house yesterday…