Unhandled trauma or schizophrenia?

I understand and yes my survival was always in danger as a child and the raised voices are just one example. I respect whatever you feel is right for you and your wife. Ultimately you are the engineer of your life (to coin a phrase) I would just humbly ask that if you find yourself in the same situation that you’re in today still searching for “the fix”…say…2, 5, or 10 years from now…I hope then you might possibly reconsider the ideas that you have discarded today. I wish you and your wife the very best.

3 Likes

Thanks Catherine. I hear you there :slight_smile: For the most part I accept that this is the way things are and I need to adjust our lifestyle to incorporate this condition, however there is a small part of me that says this doesn’t have to be and that I’m in for many long years of an endlessly repeating cycle if I give in and accept this.

After reading quite a few of the stories posted on this forum I feel at least that what we are going through here is perfectly normal for thousands upon thousands of households around the world and also comparatively we are very much on the lighter end of the scale as it only involved the two of us with no extended family or relatives issues.

What this forum has shown me is a very strong link between how an individual processes control and sz. It always seems to come back to the basic concept of control and how that is handled (or not). In our formative years we take on the habits of the immediate environment and it seems at least reasonable that if we formed an unusual habit for handling control, it could end up blossoming into something undesirable later in life. So I’m going to spend some time exploring this concept for now.

My thoughts right now on the original question about unhandled trauma or sz are that sz is a product of incorrectly handled control in the formative years and therefore there is no cure for sz since it is an effect not a cause. So, what we are really dealing with here is both sz and unhandled trauma because they are one in the same, therefore we must handle the trauma and its habitual responses first to break out of the endless loop. I may start another post on some ways I hope to test this concept out but for now thank you to everyone who has helped me out here. It is now after peak monthly stress and we have two or so weeks of relative calm before the next impending storm so I hope to use this window to explore the above concept.

2 Likes

My heart goes out to you :disappointed: What a predicament! I’m on my iPhone here so going back and re-sending may not be an option. I’m sorry. Did you say she has been diagnosed with Sz? It does sound like it is. How old is your wife?

1 Like

Hi, thank you. Yes, we had a psychiatric diagnosis last year when the confabulations became quite bad. We are both in our early 40s.

Had the police around again today, same as two days ago and two days earlier. They are very understanding and each time call the mental health service who each time say they aren’t able to help since she is not a danger to anyone or herself. I think we may go around this routine quite a few more times yet. Now that I am video recording every incident I have at lease something to counteract the wildly exaggerated descriptions given to the police of what I am doing to her.

Today’s incident started with me saying “time to get up” at 6.45am this morning. This was taken as a form of control over her and initiated the routine. Fortunately the violent part of the routine has subsided a lot and we go into the sulky/fearful mode which is why the police get called regularly now. I’m hoping this is a passing phase. If she can make the connection in her subconscious that I am not her parents and the consequences of accepting my ‘control’ over her aren’t what they used to be when she was a child then I think we can let go of a lot of the routines.

1 Like

And I did go back and re-sending so hopefully I’m understanding. Sz very often has other co-morbid conditions along with it. PTSD is one very likely, and there is no one cause but several theories, the genetic component is probably the biggie but the gene(S) are not mandatory. Also, some sort of trauma as in your wife’s case, early childhood trauma can be a factor. It can be trauma not caused by the parents but maybe a relative :frowning: a babysitter? At first I didn’t like that theory but then realized it was not us so who?? My son started having phobias when he was only four and then a diagnosis of generalized anxiety and then ADHD (inattentive type). He was very sweet and always so good, such a delight, but very shy. He was really just like me when I was a little girl! Unfortunately, there is quite a bit of mental illness (mostly paranoid Sz) running in my family DNA. Alas, out of all my cousins, I’m the only one who has a child (adult child) who has the illness. He was diagnosed January of 2013. I have accepted the diagnosis but I will never get over this blow! It is so terribly sad. Have you read any books about schizophrenia? I recommend “Surviving Schizophrenia” 6th edition by Dr E. Fuller Torrey. Wonderful man! Wonderful book, invaluable really. Good luck to you both.