Unmedicated son continues

Hello - yes! This illness comes with ongoing misfortunes, I think I will always feel an undercurrent of sadness because of it, but I feel fortunate about our current status.

2 Likes

I understand the undercurrent. My son is doing better than ever and I am still sad, kinda time to catch my breath and reality soaks in. I am very thankful, but I still am saddened by being where we are, what it took to get in a better spot, and to know the illness is as bad as it is. Aah, that said, it does make a difference to have the right meds. My son is on a cocktail, 2 antipsychotics, 2 antidepressants, 1 benzo, and a blood pressure med.

1 Like

Yes, its sometimes difficult to feel happy about the progress, if we think too much about what might have been.

3 Likes

I totally understand !! The same with my son . The police have always been involved in getting him help involuntary . He gets out and is ok for a few months and then quits his meds . It’s been a never ending cycle

You have been great support through my journey with my stepson I thank you. Just an update. He spent time in jail, we got moved and everything is great. When he got out of jail we told him we weren’t in town any more and left it at that. His younger brother decided to step up to the plate and has been helping him. The younger brother found a place for him to live real cheap he got him set up on food stamps. The sz son is doing better and on meds but him not knowing were the finances have come from (us) has made him more respectful toward his brother. As I suspected all along if he can revert back to a rebellious teenager he will and his brain has never developed beyond. Unfortunately he has lost his disability and fortunately his brother is trying to get set up again.

The younger brother helping now use to think that we didn’t do any thing to help him, but he now know’s what all we did and how hard it has been on us. I call it walk in another mans shoes to really know the truth.

My husband has driven to town to meet the sz son and say hello and says he seems to be getting better. I am still insisting he can not ever come to our house because my fear is someday he’ll go off his meds and were back to where we were 20 years ago. Does it ever get better? Can a sz person really live normal life? Is there any hope for them in society?

I feel horrible that I’m running in a way, but since then the sz son is being more responsible.

I wish everyone the best and this is a tough life we have had to endure. We still need to teach our children to respect the law and the authorities.

Oldladyblue you have been so helpful and my responding may not have been the way to tell my story.

3 Likes

Every caregiver’s life is a twisted path with choices made at every turn. I am glad @Stone that some of my posts helped you to make choices that you can live with, and that your son is doing better. If your son with sz is taking small steps toward responsibility, then those are good results. And the longer your son is on meds that work for him, the better his future can be, since you know what him being off meds is like… It is great that your other son is helping him, that shows responsibility on his part too. Sometimes it is easier for a sibling to help than a parent, I think. I, too, have a fear that my daughter will one day come off her meds, and lose the forward gain she’s made. I think that is a normal fear. We can only do what we can do, and never stop caring or trying to help them. I wish you the best.

4 Likes