Upworthy - This Actor Says He's Just A Goofy Guy...Unless He's Off His Medication

Actor, Maurice Benard from The Young and the Restless

This Emmy-winning actor is tearing down the stigma of mental illness by drawing on his own experience and putting it into his character. So in this case, art is imitating life.

Sorry J. Hope this doesn’t crash your computer again :smile:

Wow. I can’t even put into words how awesome that video was. That guy did an incredible job. He’s got a lot of courage coming forward especially working in such a fickle job where public appearance is so important. I loved it.

Here is a direct Youtube link in case anyone has trouble with the page.

Very powerful and moving. I’m so glad I took the time to watch this.

It really did give me a lot of hope and inspiration.

Thanks SO MUCH for sharing :slight_smile:

Blessings,

Anthony

Maurice Bernard has been open and direct about his Bipolar Type 1 diagnosis for years, this is not new for him.
I do think he is brave and he sends a powerful message by “coming out” but you have to understand bipolar is a much more acceptable illness than schizophrenia - I wonder if he would of been so open if he was diagnosed with schizophrenia or schizoaffective. In celebrity circles - having bipolar can be seen as a hip - in disorder to have - schizophrenia/schizoaffective acceptance has a long way to go.
But I am not taking anything away from this guy, he should be commended for being so open and honest about his mental illness - hopefully schizophrenia will be more accepted, like bipolar is starting to be

Thank you so, so much for sharing this… very emotional and moving.