What is the difference between drug induced psychosis and schizophrenia psychosis?

@thanksszcom,
Tell your son about this site even if he is psychotic, If he gets on here, he might find more motivation to skip the weed and do something else that works in the long run.
Our advice comes from our actual experience and our unique perception which in my opinion
can sometimes be better than some of the “professionals” using their “textbook” knowledge and no experience.

It’s good to have a place to belong to where you can relate to others when things aren’t going well, and it can make the difference between just existing, and having a decent life worth living.

I know you aren’t trying to, but you’re coming off like you think you’re better than the rest of us. It is very condescending and you need to cut it out.

Yes - don’t focus too much on the labels. Focus on the symptoms - and make sure that the bad ones are really being addressed by the doctors.

Labels will change over time - don’t worry about it.

With marijuana - from what I’ve read - it isn’t so much “drug induced psychosis” as that the research shows that marijuana can trigger or increase the likelihood or speed at which a person develops schizophrenia. Here is the reference:

http://www.earlypsychosis.ca/pages/diagnosed/problems-substance-use

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions. I’ve told my son about this site. Can’t make him come here though, unfortunately! He’s finally in hospital and now asking for ECT. He says that none of the medication works so he wants to try that. Stigma is huge, more so with schizophrenia and I’m sorry that people treat you differently!

My son is exactly the person they are talking about where the Dr. said his smoking pot caused his schizophrenic behavior and psychosis to occur earlier then normal but that even if he had never smoked pot this would have happened at some point because it’s genetic. My son has gone into psychosis after very stressful situations, much more of a connection between stress and psychosis then his smoking pot and psychosis. I don’t want him smoking, just because it’s not good for him, but haven’t noticed that it made him go into psychosis. I think there is still so much not know about this disease it’s not funny. We need more research and more information out there for Drs, patients and family members. This entire situation is terrifying.

This is probably a dumb question but is it possible to have schizophrenic drug induced psychosis? I’m guessing that’s if a persons already prone to it does drugs and has an episode.

This is just one of many links to research articles I have seen suggesting that Mary can – but does not always – contribute to the onset of sz.

One is caused by drugs the other is caused by a mental illness. Bazinga! But seriously drugs are never a good idea.
Drugs are bad mmkay