What now? Discharged to where?

Yes we have been to NAMI, before virus hit. Thanks

In my state there are several virtual NAMI support groups and classes, so don’t rule that out for the current environment. I learn something every time I participate in a support group.

1 Like

We are listed in his files. His chart is thick. They chose not to help us until police were involved.

So glad he seemed to be doing well. Know your anxiety and stress not knowing where he is. Hold on to the positives. How long has been on the meds. If for a month or more he was hospitalized then the meds should still be in his system …so if you do file a missing report it would be to just to locate him…now the real question…where did he call from…trace the number

I understand same situation :pensive:

I had a similar issue here in Jacksonville, Florida. They said that my son had been DRIVEN home but he wasn’t there and had no keys to get in anyway. Since we lived several miles away, I kept calling and scouring the neighborhoods in between the facility and home. I happened to see the girlfriend of a friend out washing her car and asked if she’d seen my son. She called another friend who said he had found him WALKING from that facility and took him home with him. So the facility LIED. He sat in the same chair for three days staring at a TV that was mostly static. He was basically drugged up and turned out on the street. I contacted the facility, state reps and Lutheran Social Services who oversees the funding here in FL of these “facilities”. Most facilities are useless and my son was covered by both Medicare and private insurance so they would have been paid. The billing nurse tried to tell me that I was committing insurance fraud and I suggested that she read up on the law for an adult disabled child. Not only are they mistreating our loved ones, the are imposing an additional burden on the families who are trying their best to keep the medicines provided, insurance claims filed, and just day to day expenses covered.

I am so sorry, my heart goes out to you. When my son was first in, they wouldn’t tell me, I called police and filed missing person report, I called everyone, but I prayed and prayed over his safety, health, well being, protection. He finally called, he will call, have faith, be strong, he will find a way to connect with you :heart:

That’s just unacceptable. Did you ever hear from anyone you contacted about it.? I am sending off emails to the corporate level of the SUN BEHAVIORAL . Anyone who is on that list for “our leaders” are getting an email. Plus I will send to some newspaper about how the mentally ill are treated around here. And the congressman. It makes me boil.

1 Like

I never heard a peep from them because they knew they’d screwed up and now they are no longer in business - or maybe they just changed names like they tend to do so often. When I went to get him, I called his Dad (who’s rather useless at times like this) and his stepMom (who had been a Corrections Officer and she was great) and all three of us showed up at the apartment where he’d been staying. My son was still so drugged up that he was literally afraid to come home with us. We had his friend drive him home and assure him that it was OK to go with us even tho my son wasn’t sure who we were. One thing I have done is to check the State of Florida Corporate records to find out who the officers and/or directors are. Surprise, surprise. The same people are on the boards of two of the Crisis Stabilization Units here in town.

1 Like

I did call the ones (directors) I could find a phone number for and explained to each just what had happened. I believe that lawsuits may be the only thing they understand but luckily this facility is not the one closest to our home. If Baker Acted by the police again, he has to be taken to a different CSU closer to home and those doctors are more than familiar with him. They rarely keep him longer than three days because my son is current on his meds (for what good they are) and there’s nothing more that they can do but house him to keep him from harming someone. The first time he was sent to a state hospital, the CSU hadn’t won a case in three years until his. The State hospital he was in let him work if he wanted to, held dances if the residents wanted to attend; provided structure around the clock and kept him safe until they could provide the meds that worked (albeit for a while). They taught them banking thru their “bank”, and had a small “mall” they could shop and work in if they wanted and “cafes” that were set up to teach people how to work in the food industry and how to act around people in a dining experience. They had a clothes closet run by volunteers that they could choose a specific number of clothing items from if needed. Then the State cutbacks and layoffs came and all that changed. Not only were the layoffs harming the employees, the residents eventually lost most privileges and they once again became housed patients (except on rare occasions). Its sad that they are not valued as highly as people “without issues” but I greatly admire the people who end up choosing to work in this profession as doctors, nurses, etc.

I did get a call from the corporate level i have to call them back tomorrow.
On another note, we got an application for NAMI housing. My son saw it and looked like he was shocked. We were going to tell him we were applying, but it takes 8-12 months to get a place, so i didn’t feel any rush. But seeing my sons face was gut renching. We are all he has and i think now he feels abandoned. This life really sucks. He didn’t ask for this disease, nor did we. At a loss.

1 Like

I did hear from Corporate level. She apologized . Said they are changing the discharge policy and will have their people take them directly to where they are suppose to be going. I told her there was no excuse for no one calling me back. She agreed . So basically she agreed to my complaints and was going to change a few things… hmmm we’ll see.

1 Like

What was the facility? I want to be sure to stay away!

Down by Brooks Rehab on Beach Blvd. I forget what their name is now.

You are an amazing advocate for your son! This is what we have to do if we want to effect change! Author Peter Earley might be interested in your story. (https://mentalillnesspolicy.org/firstperson/mentally-ill-son-pete-earley.html. Write your Congressmen. NAMI in my state has a “Day at the Capital” each year and provides training for how to talk with and meet with our congressional reps. I know that I want to work on “telling my story” so I can better present it to people who CAN make a difference. We can’t roll over; we have to fight.

2 Likes