Waiting for detox for my daughter who has scizophrenia

I’m sorry you are going through this. Anyone who hadn’t been through it would be shocked, but this is the standard of no care for mental illness/ dual diagnosis in the US today.

The pain we feel when we cannot get our family members necessary, evidence-based medical treatment is real and harms us as well.

Yes, I will also move anywhere in the US. Please, anyone, let us know if there is anywhere in the US where our family members can actually receive both crisis and recovery medical treatment and other vital supports like housing.

2 Likes

Which state are you in? I want to cross it off the list! I may have to move back to Virginia. I always thought they didn’t have much, but they are leaps ahead of NC.

I am with you on wishing I could find the most top notch integrative care out there and then just moving there…and I am still considering it because I think that at 32 and with my son’s voices under control there has to be more therapy out there besides ineffective “talk” therapy that can further his progress in life skills more than it is at this point…it should not just be enough to get them out of crisis and leave them with a caretaker who works to just keep them out of crisis forever, but there should be follow through to one day get them even further in life and more independent --regular people like me have no clue where to go after the crisis passes. I found this link during one of my searches…may or may not be a good place but if you’re like me you’ll read about anything that might offer a solution. Best of luck as always. https://www.bhpalmbeach.com/programs/mental-health-programs/dual-diagnosis-treatment?gclid=CJLRz_epl9ACFYSFaQodRmoHTQ

While it is sad to say, it will probably be a good choice for your daughter to be in long term placement, both for her safety and your well-being. Sometimes the illness is more than we can manage at home. I hope a good placement is found that will protect your daughter and provide the care she needs.

Well, not California my friend. Here’s what we found that may or may not help you. We had the same decision to face where our son could not come home and we knew he was not safe in our house nor were we. In each state, from what I understand, there are Independent Living homes. These are essentially where the bed is rented out on a month-to-month basis. In CA it’s $700 per month but I’m certain that it’s cheaper in other places. They do not give out medication and your daughter could walk away, of course. In CA we call our county information line to get a link with all of the latest homes. In San Diego, for example, there are over a hundred of these. Nice money makers for the home owner — $700 per bed x 2 to a room x 4 bedrooms = paid mortgage.

We found it helpful to give our son a wake-up call about how he’d have to act in our house:

1. Chores
  2. Not yelling or being rude to any one
  3. Has to get out of their room during the day so less isolation

We faced the insane monthly costs as well. I’m hopeful to see if someone from another state has a better and more affordable situation. I hope this helps you :slight_smile:

Well I just followed up on a place her ACT team found in Illinois. It makes California look good. Rates are totaling $30,000 for one month. The homes you mentioned does not seem to fit my daughter. The main rule I will have is no drugs. We’ve tried that before but we didn’t have an alternative and she’d find a way. I really think we can get a handle on her schizophrenia if her drugs are gone. I am starting procedures to get guardianship. If she doesn’t stop the drug use, I can hold up an Assisted Living arrangement as an alternative. I don’t want to do that, but I just can’t watch her 24 hrs. a day.

My daughter just called and I talked to her nurse. They are in contact with Cherry Hospital and she may be placed tomorrow. I don’t know if they will keep her more than 2 wks., but at least that will help for now. Thanks for the info. Please keep me informed if you hear anything else. I’m watching the election results starting in 2 mins. I am so glad it’s going to be over!

1 Like