A quick question - Disorganized / Undifferentiated Diagnoses?

I don’t think I know what you mean by “emotionally possessed by whoever.” Does that mean vulnerability to being influenced by others or are you meaning simply spiritual possession?

Mortimer - thanks for the feedback. I guess I am feeling somewhat “gun shy” - my son has made several unsuccessful attempts at school since the onset of schizophrenia - which has resulted in frustration and also financial loss. He’s very capable intellectually, but has not been able to maintain the necessary focus to do the required coursework.

I have read Elyn Saks’ memoir and she is indeed an amazing person. I did appreciate that she said at the end of the book that she would not want anyone to have her success pressed on others as proof that - if she can do it, so can they - acknowledging that everyone is different, and will experience their lives and illness differently. I am NOT saying you are doing that - I LOVE hearing about your success! You have managed your life magnificently, powered thru difficulties, and continue to improve. My son is just not at a point of having insight yet, which you and I both agree will be a vital component to his recovery.

Also, you are exactly right that the professors would care less where he lives, and it is very unlikely they would have access to such information unless he shared it. But my son seems to think “they would know”.

Yes, I always say that insight is the first step. One is no longer legally insane when they are admitting and fully aware of their diagnosis, believe it or not. If he cannot ignore hallucinations and delusions very well, he may need to wait and get a grip on them, most ideally with a good therapist showing him how. I was legally insane until I got on medications. I was still in denial, I actually said “I just happen to have schizophrenia, but the government really has been watching me since I turned 18”…

Again, I wish I could get some of you guys in touch with my son to help him see that it is the BEGINNING, not the END, to accept what is true for him…

I am paranoid sz, as I read your postings I saw that some of you can be good psychologists/psychiatrists, especially kidsister because you are so young you can have a great career in this field.

Me too Valleypenne. I have often thought/wished that @mortimermouse, @SurprisedJ, @77nick77, @radmedtech, @Jayster, and others (I know I’m leaving some out) would hold counseling/mentoring classes for our kids who are not quite there yet. :bulb:

Some people do.I’m joining a depression group at a clinic nearby.The lady co-leading the group is about 35 or 40 and has had a mental illness her whole life. I met her years ago. She had a good position at our local NAMI office. Nice lady. And just two years ago I signed up for a NAMI program called Peer Pals. Basically it was a program that paired stable,high -functioning mentally ill people with other mentally ill people who were not doing good or isolating, or lonely or had no friends or support. So this women I mentioned was head of this service and got a Peer Pal for me. He was bi-polar but going to college and lived on his own for twenty years. There were rules like no drugs. But we met once a week and we would shoot pool, or one time we packed some food and went to the beach. We would go to the park or and one time we went to his house and I met both his parents. But yeah, mentally ill people helping other mentally ill people in places such as NAMI or clinics is not rare, at least in my neck of the woods and in my experience.

Yes, NAMI would be a good place to start. Not sure how to get son on board with it though. So far he has declined getting on this website or getting involved in some sort of support group. I keep trying though, maybe one day :pray:

It’s the bi-polar version of someone in your head and heart.

Im not claiming spirits, but am saying it’s someone.

@Djinn I would be interested to know if you have an update after all this time or if anyone else has experience with Formal Thought Disorder and linguistic (language) issues. What medications or treatments helped? Has the disorder improved or declined? Do most doctors understand FTD or how did you find a doctor that did? Speech therapy?