Daughter to get ECT next week

Round two of shock treatment today…

Wishing and hoping along with you that this helps. Please keep us posted. This was recommended by one doctor but ten two others didn’t agree. I hope it is successful.

2 Likes

Hope it goes well. There is lots of info that suggests it can be helpful:

ECT an Effective Treatment Option for Schizophrenia

and

http://www.psychiatryadvisor.com/schizophrenia-and-psychoses/schizophrenia-ect-effective-treatment-cognitive-improvement/article/666780/

and

ECT Effective for Treatment of Schizophrenia

2 Likes

After round two, stripped of all meds accept latuda, much improved but not there yet… she normally did 5 different meds a day…

3 Likes

That’s encouraging! When the treatment is complete will she be off AP medications?

2 Likes

That is what she told me over the phone, it may be just full blown SZ talking LOL, who the hell knows LOL!!!

Well that would be a miracle if it worked for a good long time as it may be temporary. She says the shocks are physically very painful for days. Maybe she would agree to a video interview to share this.

1 Like

Sounds like your daughter’s a real trooper as they say.

2 Likes

She’s brave to endure this treatment.

3 Likes

Round 4 done yesterday, round 5 tomorrow…

4 Likes

She is really going the distance with this - sweetheart of a child, she really wants to feel better. The things our children have to endure.

2 Likes

I agree. It’s kind of amazing that she’s willing to have these treatments. I guess that’s the difference in having a child with insight into his or her illness versus having a child without it?

My son won’t even get blood work done, as part of his AP med treatment.

3 Likes

Round 5 done, round 6 on Friday, round 7 on Monday and then released…

3 Likes

I too think your daughter is exceptional in that she seeks treatment. Has this always been the case? You have shared sending her to rehab, was this her idea as well?

1 Like

yes, given her mother is severe SZ 20+ years, she knew at 17 she needed help with SZ/heroin/pills and has never waivered… Given the severity of the SZ shooting heroin was a way to escape, I can understand that for sure and don’t blame her for it… When your high from shooting heroin, the SZ is gone!!!

2 Likes

@GSSP How is your daughter? The last treatment was a week ago, yes?

Mixed results, seven treatments over two weeks inpatient, last treatment was two days ago, meds down from 5 to just Seroquel (down from 600mg to 300 daily) and Latuda 120mg daily, requires monthly maintenance shocks for life… she stood by the windows yesterday scared of all the shit outside… Who the f*ck knows, looks like a bust but worth the try…

2 Likes

Is it the kind of treatment that gets better results over time? In other words, could she continue to improve in coming weeks? I’m curious, and hoping for the best for her.

3 Likes

Well, you would think shocking the brain would work pretty damn fast… time will tell

2 Likes

I guess pretty much anything is worth a try. Meds reduced would be something, I guess.

3 Likes

Yes, you are correct. I truly believe there was some benefit. Hope it last. I still worry about her, big time…

1 Like