UJust an update, but I will try to keep it to the point and no venting.
I am in Canada
My mom and my 47 year old brother both have sz, but i concentrate on my 29 year old daughter.
In 2015, I committed her to a hospital, but they let her out in about 3 weeks while she had no insight. I was shocked as it was obvious that she wont be taking medication
I went back to the unit after her release, told them that she is not taking medication and asked what should i do. They said (off record): “wait till she acts out weird in public, and hopefully some one will call the police”
I was reluctant to apply for another court order as it damages my relationship with my daughter, but in January 2017 i again had no choice. She was committed, scared and mad at me.
It took a couple of weeks for the doctor to process things and start her on medication. She has responded well, surprised the doctor with her progress and was released 6 weeks later with a CTO (community treatment order – involuntary monthly shots).
While she was in the hospital:
– I visited her daily even though in the beginning she refused talking to me and sent me away
– I talked to her doctor and nurses as much as possible, although tried not to become a nuance
– I brought cinnamon buns and other treats for the unit staff daily or almost daily
– when my daughter got better, and we started going for walks, I told her that none of it was her fault as she thought that the court order was my way of punishing her for something. Now, a few months later, she still has no insight and i will have to continue working on explaining my decision to her.
– as soon as she started taking pills (involuntarily!), I started paying her $5 a day as suggested in “i am nit sick, I don’t need help”
Now, as we approached the month of May, she is doing much better. She got a part time job ( which actually is very stressful for her, but she always was very independent). We are getting along nicely. She still has no insight and doesn’t associate her progress with medication. She believes she is fine and doesn’t need her monthly shots. She is hoping to stop them as soon as the CTO runs out
The CTO is only good for 6 months at a time, and then they have to have another panel. The process is very costly for the doctors and nurses, but that is the law. My goal is to make sure they keep her on CTO as long as possible, i was told they commonly keep patients on CTO up to 3 years, but 6 months at a time.
She lets me come to her monthly appointments with her doctor when she gets her monthly shots. During the appointments, i stay mute until i get a chance to trigger a subject which helps the doctor to see that her anosognosia is still very bad. (Although she has partial insight and understands that she had psychosis, but thinks she is now perfectly fine and will not get worse again)
The meeting with doctor starts with the initial small talk ( how are you? I am fine, got a job, blabla), but her doctor seemed to pay attention when I triggered the subject of no insight and she said that her improvement has nothing to do with the medication. Unfortunately, I later found out that the doctor made no notes of this. I find it very frustrating as her CTO will run out in a few months and they need to document the reasons why she must stay on medication involuntarily for way, way longer!
I had a couple of appointments with the social worker who told me i was smart, on the right track, a good mom, and generally made me feel very good, but i don’t want to be flattered. I want help for my daughter. I want REAL help.
I have a few months before the next panel where they will decide if she needs to continue involuntarily monthly shots. Untill then, i will listen, learn and work on my relationships with the staff at the unit. Just before the panel, i will actively provide them with facts and the information that she is not yet ready to be trusted to stay on medication. I will make sure they put that info in her file.
If needed, I am prepared to tell them that if anything happens to her, i will hold them responsible.
That’s the plan…
Please, friends, let me know what do you think? Is there anything I didn’t think off?
My daughter’s application for AISH ( financial help) has been denied, although i did send them a letter explaining her symptoms and our struggles. In my letter, i did use the key points provided in one of the previous posts in this forum. The social worker at the unit told me that I should delegate the appeal to herself (the social worker). Should I delegate to the staff or should i push it myself? That is my other dilemma…
(My daughter is very reluctant to appeal because (remember?): “I am not sick, i don’t need help”. But she is stressed out as she doesn’t make enough money, while the doctor told her she should NOT work more than part time)
Please comment if you have any suggestions or ideas
Stay strong and focused.
Good luck to all of us.