Depot antipsychotics: If you pay me, you can keep injecting me

Payment to the people who receive their medications seems to improve long term adherence to the medications. So - one more strategy for families:

This recent paper by Priebe and colleagues (2016) provides follow-up data from an original trial which explored the impact of paying service users to receive their depot of long-acting injectable antipsychotic (LAI).

The original study can be found here , or if you prefer you can read my Mental Elf blog which discusses the findings.

Results:
At 12 months, adherence was 71% in the control group and 85% in the intervention group. The financial incentives had a statistically significant effect at this stage, which is why the first publication had a positive conclusion.

Read the full story at the link below:

I’ve been thinking about paying my son to take his meds.

Right now, I’m doing the same thing - getting him his cigarettes and stuff, but sometimes, at the end of the day, he’s still got attitude about taking them and tells me he doesn’t care what he agreed to, or asks how I feel about poisoning him.

With money, I could pay him AFTER he takes them.

2 Likes

I’m thinking the same thing. I’ve already asked and he said no but I’m going to ask again.

He just told me there was nothing I could give him that would make him want to take the meds.

However, he still expects me to supply cigarettes, get him things he wants, etc.

At some point soon, I might have to cut it all off an do it this way.

1 Like

I know that would be hard for us to do here but really what are the alternatives. I think if is absurd to spend that kind of money hospitalizing someone who won’t accept medication until they are forced. What is the difference in making them take it at home. It’s a hell of a better environment than the hospital and they can get a lot more exercise at home. My husband smokes also so it would be difficult to withhold cigs. If we would have let him fall apart he would be in the hospital again losing ground. I’d like to see him gain some ground for a change. He thinks he was in college Last year. It was three years ago. I know the more we talk about meds the worse it can get.

1 Like