Driving with Sz

I have my driver’s license and able to handle myself since i’m on medication. I say as long as he stays on meds than he should be fine.

The last 40 years I have driven okay.

Jayster

I got my drivers license in 1980, and my motorcycle license in 2005, which takes far more focus and concentration than an auto, and you have to be vigilant about other drivers who always want to flatten you.

I’ve never caused an accident, nor property damage, but can’t say others haven’t hit ME.

It’s not how good of a driver you are that counts, it’s if you can stop yourself from driving when you don’t feel you can do it safely that will make the difference whether or not they renew, or take your license.

I first got my license in 1978 when I was 17. I drove until I got sick at 19 with paranoid schizophrenia. Interestingly enough, when I went into my first group home when I was 19 a couple of the counselors there used to lend me their cars to go to doctors appointments until I got scared and stopped driving. This was 1980.

I didn’t drive again until 1984 when I got my own car. I drove until 1990 but I had to stop driving from 1990-95 because the board & care home I was in prohibited driving for anyone. I didn’t drive again until 1997 and I’ve been driving ever since.

Since 1984 I have been in 4 accidents. My first one was when my car steering wheel malfunctioned and I lost control on a curve and I ran into a tree. Not my fault. Then in 1999 I was getting off the freeway and a guy rear-ended me on the off-ramp. Again, not my fault. My next accident, some young guy backed into me at a driveway. again, not my fault. My last accident was about 4 years ago but this time it was fault. I got confused while driving at night and I made a bad turn and a teenage girl broadsided me. No one was hurt and my insurance company paid for it.

Those are all my accidents in 30 years of driving with paranoid schizophrenia. I have got several tickets but not an abnormal amount. I have to state the obvious here, Every case of schizophrenia is different. You have to judge whether the individual is fit to drive by yourself. It might be wise to let your son get his license and then before he starts driving by himself, take him out on “test drives” around town and let him drive with you in the car to see how he drives. Take him out in different situations and conditions and see how he handles traffic, and driving on busy streets. and driving on the freeway or in the rain.

Driving can be stressful, observe him under stress and see how he does. Doing this will give you a little idea of how he will drive when he’s alone in the car. I must point out that I believe that car accidents are the leading cause of teenager deaths. I don’t want to be morbid but this a fact. A lot of teen accidents happen when the kid is under the influence of drugs or alcohol. But yeah, we are all different, you will have to judge yourself whether your own son is fit to drive. The bottom line is that some people with schizophrenia can drive, some can’t.

I’ve had SZ for over two decades. I’m med-compliant and highly stable. I drive a bulk fuel truck for a living. I’m also a spare school bus driver (used to do that full-time, but the fuel gig pays better). I have a clean driver’s abstract, clean insurance record, and am considered very safe and reliable by both of my employers.

Having this condition doesn’t preclude one from driving – even professionally – if one manages it properly. On the very rare day that my symptoms are kicking up, I call in sick.

Pixel.

Thank you to each of you who has replied! Your open and insightful responses are really helping me to see the bigger picture of this topic. I feel much more confident and positive about it! I’m really grateful for this site!
Hope you have a great day! : )