Drug induced psychosis

Misty,
I am so sorry to hear of this tragedy…my heart and prayers go out to you and your family.

2 Likes

This is my worst nightmare …Misty oh my God I’m sooooo terribly sorry and I hope your son pulls through…my 26 yr old son takes off a lot and I can’t stop him …goes out in freezing weather, in the rain and it doesn’t matter to him. He gets his clothes and shoes soaked. He has been arrested, assaulted (head split open), shot with paint balls, has his money ripped off and the list goes on and on …I’m terrified for his life…he doesn’t think anything is wrong with him either…I’ve seen him walk out in to traffic not paying any attention …scares the hell outta me…I wish there was more I could do to keep him from leaving …my thoughts are with you…

2 Likes

@Misty,

I was wondering how you and your son are doing. Hoping there is continued healing for him, and for you in this journey with him.

2 Likes

Misty, I am new to this site but this could have been my son so easy. May peace and blessings be with you. And please take care of yourself during this time. Your health is important too!

2 Likes

Search " protease deficiency and sz"
Digestive Enzymes may help.

I’m sorry it took so long to get on this forum but to say the least our life has been pure hell. I just wanted to thank everyone for your kind words snd prayers. He survived this accident by the grace of God but on top of everything else now suffers from tramatic brain injury. After a 3 month stay in the hospital he was released to a hospital/ rehab. He is currently in facility out of state and begs me daily to come home. He can walk, talk but still suffers from the same things before the accident on top of confusion and short term memory loss.
I’m torn because I’m not sure what or how to handle this situation. I want him safe but I don’t feel as though I can provide that at my home. Yet I can’t imagine my son living so far away and in a home.
Every day I scream " WHY" why this young beautiful man??? Wasn’t the torcher of what he was already going through enough!!
I just don’t know where or what to turn to for help. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated

1 Like

Oh Misty, we join you in your scream - this is so awful.

While I am not in your shoes, like everyone else, we all could be in a heartbeat of time. I would put his safety first, even though its like stomping on your already broken heart to have him live far away.

Our torture and our grief never stops.

1 Like

Dear Misty, Thank you for updating us. I am so glad your son survived and sorry he has a traumatic brain injury.

I wish I knew where you could turn.

My father had a traumatic brain injury and recovered enough to live on his own. During the recovery, it was up to me what happened because he was incapacitated. He does not have mental illness, but the brain injury was awful. I just did what the doctors told me to do and kept him in hospital or facility until he recovered enough to go home with other family members.

He had to pass many tests and go through lots of therapy before he could live on his own and then eventually he was able to drive again.

I would just do what the doctors recommend. There are lots of occupational and physical therapies that help TBI.

The situation you are in is so difficult. Maybe start researching to see whether there is an assisted living facility close to home? I honestly don’t know. Is there a social worker involved with your son’s case? I would talk to that person.

Also, maybe counseling for you if you are not doing so already. You have also been traumatized.

Best to you and your son.

1 Like

This looks like an important thread for my situation. After reading many of the posts I have to say, it sure sounds a lot like what I’m experiencing right now. I also posted in the thread ‘son in hospital’ as my son is currently in hospital after his first psychotic break (that I know of). THC was in his urine so they haven’t ruled out drug induced psychosis.

He is otherwise symptomatic of sz and has been put on xyprexa. He is beginning to stabilize with today being day 7 in a mental health recovery facility. He attends classes, sees docs and therapists daily, etc. He appears to be trying to get the most out of where he is. I am impressed with the care he is receiving.

But there are a lot of unknowns. Is this all from the THC? Or is it sz? He hasn’t been willing to sign the HIPAA release so I’m not privy to things like how long he has been experiencing hallucinations and delusions. I do know he has had other symptoms since the age of 16 and some his whole life. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever dream my son could be sz. I thought maybe he was possibly a little asbergers, maybe ADHD (I am ADHD so not a far fetched thought). He was never a behavior problem in school so even though he flunked classes and didn’t do very well, he slipped through the cracks.

I have never felt more devastated in all my life. To see all the hopes and dreams for your child evaporate in a few psychotic hours is absolutely traumatizing. To think about how hard your kid has worked to hide this from you for months is heartbreaking. To think about how scared HE must be is worst of all.

There is a chance he might qualify for an early intervention psychosis program, but will be denied if drug induced can’t be ruled out. If he really IS sz, then this would be tragic. I do have to just keep trusting that good will come of this nightmare.

My heart goes out to everyone involved in a similar situation. I understand what you are going through to perfection.

2 Likes