Experience with schizotypal personality disorder?

Hi All,

I’m new here, hoping this is an appropriate place to post this question. My parents and I are dealing with an incredibly difficult situation with my adult brother. He’s seen a couple of therapists recently who have told us he likely has schizotypal personality disorder.

He has been completely isolating himself in his home for about 6 years now. Refuses to work, refuses to speak to or see anyone. Expresses paranoid thoughts. Seems consumed with strange subjects.

Do any of you have experience with schizotypal along the lines of treatment? Or what may be effective in improving it to any extent?

Would appreciate any insight you may be able to lend. Many thanks in advance.

The isolation can magnify any problem. I can’t imagine how hard this is for so many folks right now. When we started to bring my son out of that isolation, his mental health improved but it has taken years. Now the issue is getting him cleaned and introduced back into society because he think he looks okay, but he actually still looks homeless- he’s slowly getting back into a routine of cleaning and even picked up a part time from somebody willing to look past the grunge and see the hard working, kind person that he actually is.

So, during his isolation, he discovered cryptocurrencies, which everyone told him he was a stupid idea but he didn’t listen and invested any money he could get his hands on and now he has over 20k. I bring this up because I thought three years ago, I though my son’s ideas were bizarre and strange and they ended up being the opposite (he started this crazy ice skate business which has made him $500 so far). His way of thinking made it so hard for him to communicate too.

Not sure how to help with your exact situation but heavy isolated times were when my son was at his worst - btw, he is unmedicated. Hope you find some help here :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply and share about your son. How wonderful to hear that he’s doing better! Gives me hope for my brother. Blessings to you and your family.

1 Like