Frustration for my son (From Diag Forum)

Just moving this post over here for continued discussion:

My son called today after 9+ mos. in the State psychiatric hospital.

Why is it he’s surrounded by professionals and yet not being helped and doesn’t know what’s going to happen to him? He doesn’t have a plan or seem to know what he will have to do to move on.

He’s considered SFI (severely functionally impaired), been off meds, in the hospital numerous times.

Today he opened up about many things. He sounded like himself., talked about getting his own place, invited me for a visit etc.

He’s sounds like he’s dying of boredom.

And still will suddenly say things like: “I’ll put a razor in your head you f**in bi*ch.”

It doesn’t seem like he can control this.

He hit one doctor and says now he has one he can talk to/likes.

I would appreciate input and support because after his call I get so depressed all I want to do is sleep.

Vermont Woman

1 Like

9 months is a long time, has he been threatening that long?

I need input from folks who still have psychotic episodes even while on meds

My son’s episodes have worsened and his psych-M.D. said nothing can be done.

He used to laugh more and now had become socially withdrawn and hopeless.

He’s in a group home in the community mental health organization.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Vermont Woman

I had three years of trying my best to live through the up and downs of psychotic episodes that varied from very light to screaming rage (my daughter). Despite hospitalizations and 4 different meds, only one med worked like a miracle three months ago, and she is still taking the monthly shots. I feel blessed that all symptoms except for her “talking” to her “people” have passed. I simply ignore it when the voices seem to break out as now her episodes are light.

She has NO idea she has been psychotic, I don’t know if she will ever let herself know the truth. It is called anosognosia.

I am very glad that your son has community help with the group home, so at least you know he is safe. That won’t mend your broken heart though.