Grand mother is schizophrenic and I want to do shroom

Hi, im 17years old I have smoke weed for like 3 years and I had never had any problem with it. I have try lsd 2 time and shroom 4 time… on shroom I always had a good time but on the lsd I bad trip twice. So I was wondering if doing shroom again was okay even if my grandmother is schizophrenic.

2 Likes

@Lolo22 The answer is 100% no. With schizophrenia in your family history, recreational drug use is not a smart decision. In addition to that you are 17, your brain is not fully developed until you are in your 20’s so if you want to give yourself your very best chance of having a fully sane and intelligent adult life stay away from recreational drugs and take care of yourself. I know what I am talking about because my son did many different recreational drugs during his teen years and it caused drug induced brain damage and he has schizophrenia as well, now he is 32 and I take care of him full time. You are not too young to make your mental and physical health a top priority. You will be grateful you did in the years to come.

6 Likes

Please don’t do it. I believe that doing shrooms, lsd and smoking pot brought on schizophrenia in my son. He has had sz for 7 years and believe me, it’s not something you want to experience.

3 Likes

but i have smoked alot of weed and never had any problem with ti…

1 Like

@Lolo22 Even weed is like a time bomb in people with a genetic link for schizophrenia and studies have shown that it if you have the gene and it is not yet active the weed can “flip the switch”, it might and it might not, is it really worth it to take that kind of a gamble with the rest of your adult life?. Once that genie is out of the bottle you can’t put it back. It can start anytime without warning and the prime time for it to start is 17-25. Maybe you have just been VERY lucky so far. I would count your blessings and ask yourself why you have a focus on getting high in spite of the risks involved. Best of luck to you. Here is the article about the study on weed and schizophrenia if you are interested. Marijuana, Cannabis and Schizophrenia - Schizophrenia.com

3 Likes

Don’t. I know that sounds harsh but I know 2 people in high school who had a family history of sz and the shrooms kicked it in. Both are 46 now, still fighting it. Both were pot smokers.

My husband is where he is now in part bcz of pot and other drugs. It’s not worth it. Really. And I’m a pro legalization person… or I was. I don’t do any substances. Please dont.

4 Likes

Thank you so much for answering! I think i understand, ill stop smoking and i won’t do shroom… Thanks! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

My son smoked a lot of weed too, probably from age 16 or so. He didn’t have his first psychotic break until age 20.

1 Like

@Lolo22 I am so happy to hear of your decision! Don’t hesitate to check in from time to time, you have a lot of people here that really understand what it’s like to have a family member with schizophrenia. Best of luck in all you do! :rose:

2 Likes

No problems yet ? Life is not done. Don’t do it. It’s not worth losing your brain functioning correctly and avoiding mental illness. Genes definitely play a role in mental illness. Please put your energy into thinking and planning for education and a good career. God bless your life.

Lolo22 - My son is 17. He has used acid too many times to count, smokes pot and thinks it is the wonder drug, and has done other drugs (pills). His schziophrenia is a terrible thing to watch. Believe me when I tell you this, you do NOT want to bring this upon yourself. My son is highly intelligent. He wanted to be a doctor when he was a little boy. He was in advanced classes in elementary and middle school. Then the drugs started. His grades started to slide (he used to have straight As and usually didn’t try that hard - that is how smart he is). I am thinking we will be lucky if he can have some menial job some day. With schizophrenia comes this lethargy and lack of motivation that zaps your energy for life. I have watched my son go from being the Energizer Bunny as a toddler to barely moving turtle as a teenager. It is a horrible thing to have. I can’t stress this enough to you. Don’t dabble in street drugs and jeopardize your mental health!

1 Like

I don’t know if the OP was for real or not, but I agree that doing hullicinagens is like playing Russian roulette with your mental health, especially if you have a genetic risk for sz.
My husband’s psychotic break came as a result of doing some sort of acid. Although he’d done acid before with no bad after effects. The last time triggered his Sz.
As far as that class of drugs, mushrooms can be more mild than other hullicinagens, but still NOT recommended,

so is everyone not pro cannabis cause i believe the active component in marijuana CBD the component that can immediately take some one out of a seizure or is a temporary and in some cases permanent cure for Parkinson disease and could possibly be used in the future to help with Alzheimer disease and Alzheimer is purely hereditary if it’s the mental illness it’s considered dementia while there are several ( not more than 12 actually 7 cause i learned what several means ) different forms of dementia and i know one of them is a separate form of Alzheimer’s there… alright i left to eat dinner and i lost my train of thought but everyone always looks for the negatives in life and there all positive people and the people who look for the positives in life (me) are always living a negative life like i’m with cas and shit and it sucks and i think i just started a new train of thought but i choose to love the life i choose and all i’m really saying instead of always focusing on the negatives in life look for the positive in the dope we smoke or the shrooms we take to escape our reality of our selves but in the end it’s a self choice what we do on a day to day basis. i think i was heated before i ate dinner. I was hangry. snickers satisfy’s.

Hi @Simon_Smith The only person with sz in my family history is my daughter, who never used any type of drugs/medicines, but is the one who is ill. My sons, who smoked marijuana for a while, even moving to a state in the US where it was legal, have no signs of MI. I also used drugs when I was young, not for decades now, mostly marijuana. I think that the benefits of CBD are worth investigating, but CBD doesn’t make one high. I believe it is the drugs that cause highs or hallucinations can be dangerous to mental health, but I am no doctor. I think life is best experienced sober from drugs or alcohol highs/lows.

I grew up with a gorgeous Brazilian girl, smart, and soft spoken. She went to Ohio university and began dating a guy that convinced her to do “shrooms.” She did them and within weeks became schizophrenic. Everyone freaked out, she wouldn’t leave her dorm room was making noises, they called her family to get her. Her sisters and brother were furious because they warned her not to do drugs. You see her father was a schizophrenic and what she did opened the door and ignited this disease and a lifetime of chaos. Today, She is on disability, has been hospitalized more than 10xs, she has changed so much and is 1/4 of the person she was.
You can do anything you want, we all can, it’s called free will, but your curiosity is nothing more than a temptation and it will lead you down a road you likely will never return or recover from.
Right now this girl isn’t thinking about getting high or shrooms, she is barely thinking , she talks to trees and walks with a shuffle and constantly has an odd stare. The old saying Curiosity kills the cat, it is true.