Grandson diagnosed- so sad

Our grandson was diagnosed with schizophrenia several months ago. It seemed like the meds prescribed we’re working great but there is not the consistency we hoped for. Its like riding a roller coaster- there are days when i just cry out - how can this be that our beautiful boy is sentenced to a life of fear, anxiety, paranoia! He has one voice that tells him suicide is the only way out and he has been able to recognize this is not right. But what do we do for him? I want to fix it like every parent or grandparent would but I can’t. I’m glad there are people to talk to as there doesn’t seem to be a NAMI group here. I guess I’m just venting because its do frustrating to watch his pain. I know medication will eventually get dialed in but all of this is scary and sad!

Thank you for posting. I had the same reaction fear denial dread now years later acceptance and as my son continues to find his normal - joy!
Each person has to go thru trial and error to find the right combination of drugs exercise structure etc. it was a roller coaster - is - I guess.
Your grandson is lucky to have you in his corner!

3 Likes

I think it’s important to remember that an affliction doesn’t have to define someone. They are still the same person they were before the diagnosis. I would imagine someone afflicted with schizophrenia is more susceptible to influences. In my opinion someone who has a healthy view of themself and a healthy outlook on life is less likely to be triggered and less likely to suffer with paranoia etc.

Healthy communication I would imagine is key to healthy family life. To know our opinions and thoughts are respected and valued is a path to open and meaningful conversation. It also inspires trust, trust in ourselves and trust in others. I also think a stable mind is also key. This in my opinion is achieved through a consistent support mechanism, (never demeaning and always showing respect which makes someone feel valued and respected), which somewhat calms the mind. Having a secure environment/home life can take away a lot of the anxiousness too. Less anxiousness is perhaps to allow focus on those things that are more important. Positive engagement also opens doors to other positive ways of thinking and somewhat deflect from the negative thoughts that can lead to more of the same. These are just my thoughts. I’m not a health professional etc. For better clarity speaking to health teams is always the best approach, but I put this out there for open discussion, as who knows it might also be of some help. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That is such an important thought. Thanks for getting it out there front and center.

There is a moment in the children’s movie “Moana” where she confronts the huge angry being and tells it “this does not define you”. I always think about our family members at that point in the movie.

1 Like

The depth of love and care you have for your family shines through. :slight_smile:

1 Like