How to help my son feel safe taking his meds?

@Vallpen that’s a good idea! We don’t get out much and I’d feel bad because dogs generally need lots of exercise.

FYI — photos of cats are very popular on the diagnosed forum. Far more cats than dogs. I have both.

1 Like

@Maggotbrane I’m looking into adopting a cat now! I’m excited to see if it will help him. Looking for shelter cats near me that are calm. There are a couple of potential candidates, so I guess I’ll update you all in a few weeks or months or something if it helps him.

Good luck to you, @nic1. A cat really helped my son. We’d never had a cat before, and I wondered how he would act around the kitten he inherited from a friend. My son, who lacks motivation and joy in life, avoids people, and can handle only a few chores and responsibilities…loves the cat. He takes care of her 100 percent by himself. Even through most episodes of psychosis he will make sure the cat has food and water and companionship. She returns his affection, following him around the house, preferring him above everyone else in the household, and bringing him little “presents” from the outside world.

2 Likes

If you plan an indoor/outdoor pet, a pet door can be a good choice in many circumstances. It cuts down on amount of care required. Automatic feeders can be helpful too if pets aren’t prone to overeating.

1 Like

4 Likes

@amysfo that’s really sweet! I hope the hell like the cat I get. He can help me choose one.

1 Like