My son cries and has schizophrenia

My son cries. He’s afraid. The voices are non stop. Feels that none cares about him. I don’t know how to help him. He only talks to me. I’m limited in knowledge.

Beth, is he on anti-psychotic medication yet? Does he have any benzo medication for severe anxiety, like Ativan?

You could tell him he can go to a hospital “to feel safe” and “get help from doctors.” When my son is in an acute state, that’s what I do.

5 Likes

Welcome Beth,
I’m guessing that your son has received a diagnosis due to the fact that you say he is scitzophrenic.
Talk to your sons general practitioner in private about your son’s condition. Doctors hold all the keys to wellness, be persistent. There should also a crisis center for you to speak to, they can help direct you, again do this in private so as not to make your son suspicious, paranoia if often part of the illness.
Take care and use caution around your son, you need to keep his trust. Let him know you love him and that you can help him.

3 Likes

Beth, I am so sorry this is happening to you and your son.
I am a “fixer” by nature, and I am guessing you may have that same urge to want to fix this for your son. It is very hard for me to accept that I cannot help “fix” or “cure” my husband. If this were a different kind of illness, the path might be clearer. At a minimum, I want to ease my husband’s suffering and there is no obvious path there either. I try to listen (some days more successful than others), keep both of us calm, empathize with how scared he must feel. I slip up constantly, I feel like talking to him is a skill I haven’t mastered. It will take time.
Not sure if this helps you, but I do know how gut-wrenching this feels. Take it a day at a time. I wish you both well! I am glad you found this space if you need it.

4 Likes

Yes. Ivega sustanta, viseral, depacote and wellabutrin. He still hears voices.