I need your help - Son 25, Bipolar / schizophrenia

You are absolutely right about that, the carpet is better though I have already been spat upon couple of times, we also had broken windows, punched walls, chipped kitchen floor, material things gone like the laptop all across the street, tv cord cut, his cell phones gone and destroyed, money trails, clothes cut or just disposed off; I know it’s the illness taking over when he’s not taking his meds.
When I look back I realized that I have learned a little over the years: to be a little more patient, prudent and I don’t care at all about physical appearance or material things. When my son was so much younger I used to take him with me to do my work which I could do in my own time and he used to go as he had just gotten up from bed, uncombed and kind of confused, I was a little embarrassed that I had to bring him because I didn’t want to leave him by himself at home out of concern of what he might do; the illness is out of my control and I care less how he looks though he doesn’t go out until he takes a shower and shaves. I can only pray for him when he goes out of the house. I have contacted the Care Line to help me with services for him in the community, hopefully they can engage him to take care of himself to stay out of the hospital but if not I’m hopeful that this nightmare will pass one day! Nothing is forever!
Thank you for your understanding and perspective, you’ve had a rough experience with isis and more and in that context you see the sz being worse then it is so.

2 Likes

Seems so unreal!!! In one trip to Mexico we visited a museum where Frida Kalo had an expo of her art: paintings of her design that were out of my wonder, she had an unlimited sexual imagination put and expressed on those drawings.
I’ve seen the art of others and they’re really fantastic, very talented people, fine and sometimes humorous even.
Definitely those sexual remarks out of my son’s mouth make me wonder where they come from.
The mind is an ample mistery.

1 Like

I can definitely relate to your life. We had our son move into an old mobile home we rented out… In a matter of a year the home had to be demolished. There were big holes in the walls, windows broken. He runs water constantly and the water had run over numerous times, that it ruined the flooring, and the floor became soft. He refuses medications, has been hospitalized more times than I want to remember. He is now living with us because we just can’t put him on the street. But some days… I come close. My heart breaks for him, but how long can my husband and I live like this? It’s just horrible. There is no answer, that is the hardest part. We are at our wits end, as most of us care takers are. We are 65 and he is 30. Our retirement… shot to hell.

5 Likes

This illness doesn’t rest! though I recognize we had a few breaks in between hospitalizations; when he was younger he used to last up to 2 years without the meds, of course he ended up in trouble because without the meds he deteriorates so much.
To make it short: he has been many times in the hospital, this last time he was incarcerated for 6 months while they found a bed for him and 6 months at the State Hospital to have him stabilized. He was just discharged last February almost at the end of the month on the Abilify shot, well he had only two administered because he determined he wasn’t going to get them anymore, he missed the one due at the end of April and so very few days after he started with the full symptoms again: abusive remarks, loosing weight, not sleeping nor eating well, taking the truck keys at night when we went to sleep, just driving around.
I had to call for help, this time I called the Care Line which was a great help, he was taken to the local hospital on Sunday May 23 and discharged last Wednesday, June 2; today he just blurted he’s not going to take the meds and he was loud already!
He doesn’t have any intention of attending the follow ups!!!
We have not put him on the streets but we’re getting close!
He has had apartments before and it has not worked well, he ended up being evicted because damages in the building: clogged sink bc he was cutting his hair and putting it in the sink , damaged floor since he didn’t use the curtain to contain the water in the tub; in another building he left the water running just the 1st day of staying there and the water was dripping to the apartments below! that has happened about 3 times on the nice low income apartments. We paid the total bills but now he doesn’t have good references to be considered for another one. And definitely it’s worse when he’s on his own. But soon we won’t be able to care for him, we’re going to be 70 both this year. He started to be sick when he was 19, really before but the 1st psychotic episode at 19, he’ll be 48 this month!
Let’s see what happens on Monday, I really doubt they will convince him to take the meds. Just like the book says, they don’t think something is wrong, we’re the ones that “have a problem”!
Looks like they tend to do the same things.
Hang in there, I won’t assure you that this will pass soon.
We’ll just try to have hope. It’ll be what it’ll be. I guess for my own peace I have not thrown the towel.
If it’s of any consolation to you we’re not alone.
May God strengthen you and your family in this difficult times.

4 Likes

Thank you for the book suggestion. I as well am looking for answers. It’s so hard because we love our daughter so much, but we must find a way to help ourselves (her dad and me) deal with it. I haven’t responded to the original post but will. I just appreciate your response.

You can always call the police and have him taken to the ER. They will then have him placed in the psych hospital. I’ve been where you’re at… the knives… and it’s a scary place to exist. But you have every right to call the police if he threatens or abuses you and l encourage you to do this if it happens again. Don’t warn him, just call them. He will be confronted. We had one episode where the police came and almost had to taser our daughter because she was so out of control. She was taken to the ER/then hospital. You’re not alone and I’m thankful you shared your post.

Thank you for your post. I relate to everything you shared. Need to get this book.