My husband has only been diagnosed with bipolar in the 6 years we've been together but I'm convinced he is schizophrenic

I have been married to my husband for 6 years in September he is 33 years old and in the time we have been together he has been hospitalized once and has had 4 episodes the first 3 lasting about 3 months each, not including the latest which has just started. I have always thought that there wad more going on besides him being bipolar and just found out from his older sister who lives out of town that he was diagnosed with schizophrenia when he was younger. I cannot get him to see he needs help and he isn’t a threat to himself or others. Right now he is just CONSTANTLY talking jibberish to himself, thinking he can hear others’ thoughts and thinking people are “plotting against him” I am at a loss and I feel like I may be going crazy myself… I love my husband with all my heart and want him to get the help he needs… any suggestions would be greatly appreciated…

we have been together a total of 6 years married for 4

Here is some information that Barbie posted earlier - perhaps this is helpful. Does he have a psychiatrist? Can you talk to the psychiatrist that he sees on a regular basis and convey to him what you are seeing and so the next time he sees him he is better informed?

The best resources I can give you are these:

http://www.leapinstitute.org/3 - under resources are free videos on using LEAP
LEAP is a way of communicating to build trust. Listen-Empathize-Agree-Partner.
http://dramador.com/ - Dr. Xavier Amador is a clinical psychologist whose brother had schizophrenia. He is the founder of the LEAP Institute. Wrote the book: I’m Not Sick I Don’t Need Help! Can buy from his website.
Search Xavier Amador and LEAP on youtube.com and you should find some long videos
http://www.treatmentadvocacycenter.org/index.php1 - under problems you will see anosognosia
Anosognosia looks like denial but is different.
Bayes for Schizophrenics: Reasoning in Delusional Disorders - LessWrong - helped my understand delusions
http://www.nami.org/1 - National Alliance on Mental Illness.
http://www.schizophrenia.ca/ - Schizophrenia Society of Canada

Can also find some very useful information here:

Early Psychosis Treatment center information in these two links

http://www.raiseetp.org/sites/

Psychiatric Treatment Centers affiliated with Medical Schools in the USA

This link may help you find a psychiatrist in your area

I’m not qualified to diagnose your husband, but I will say that symptoms such as hallucinations and delusions that are typically associated with schizophrenia can also show up in some individuals with bipolar disorder. It’s my understanding that the symptoms of bipolar disorder, schizoaffective disorder, and schizophrenia do tend to overlap to an extent and that some individuals initially diagnosed with schizophrenia may later go on to be diagnosed with something like schizoaffective disorder or bipolar disorder. Regardless as to what your husband’s proper diagnosis should be, it sounds like he has some symptoms that are leading to a great deal of dysfunction and that might also hopefully respond to proper psychiatric and/or psychological treatment. I would refer to the resources that SzAdmin posted above for assistance with getting your husband to seek professional help. I wish you luck.

Bipolar medication is as effective in treating schizophrenia as if it was just called schizophrenia. The two do overlap. If he’s under the supervision of a psychiatrist then I’m sure he’s being monitored for this stuff. He just needs a mood stabilizer or anti-psychotic. It doesn’t take away all the symptoms, but can help with insight which provides the working ground to get more on top of behavior and attitude, alongside with managing symptoms of psychosis.

Welcome to the forum @mandagagliardi

If he does have psychiatrist, as SzAdmin said, you can talk to them. Have you been a part of his treatment during your marriage by attending pdoc appointments etc? My son is younger and I’m currently a housewife so it’s easier for me to be a part of this. I attend almost all of his appointments and do my best to fill his treatment team in on what I see.

LEAP I think has helped me/us a lot. We still butt heads over things but we don’t argue over whether or not he has schizophrenia. We discuss his medications in terms of anxiety relief as that is something we can both agree my son needs help with.

Is his family-or yours-nearby? Can his parents fill you in on anything? The more info. you can get, the better.
My son always used to say that he was bipolar, when he was actually SZ.
Hope you can also get some support in your area from NAMI.
Come back here often. There is always an ear ready to listen-and tons of info to look through.

I show symptoms of bipolar disorder and schizophrenia - don’t fixate on the label or diagnosis, concern yourself on gathering as much information on treatment plans and getting a good psychiatrist. I also would maybe look into family therapy - and inform yourself on the different medications. He could have schizoaffective disorder or maybe bipolar, the medications used are basically the same for both disorders - antipsychotics, mood stabilizers, antianxiety meds, and sometimes antidepressants are used - a good psychiatrist manages the meds, it is your job to support him as much as possible - and dont forget to practice good self care for yourself as well

Bipolar 1 comes with Mania and depression, or both together. Both mania and depression can have psychosis, ex: hallucinations and delusions if they have mania. If it is Bipolar depression then it is classified as Bipolar 2 and doesn’t have psychosis or mania. The next group is considered Schizoaffective Bipolar and schizoaffective depressed, both have psychosis, but the difference is the psychosis remains when either mood is absent. Schizophrenia can have mania and depression but the mood disorder is not the dominant symptom. SZA bipolar can mimic a Bipolar 1 that rapid cylces because they are almost always in a cycle and have psychosis in the moods. Hope this helps, I know its confusing. It is common for them to get all 3 diagnosis at different times.