My son is suffering & 18 years old. What rights to I have?

My one and only baby is suffering from this disease and he is refusing to move home.
About 6 weeks ago, my mother influenced him to move in with her and within a few hours, my son packed enough of his things to fit in her car and off they went. I was in the shower and didn’t even get to say goodbye. My mother is extremely unstable in so many ways, has tried taking my son from me since he was born, and now he is 18 so she took him.
He finally called me yesterday. Found out he is not allowed to take his Abilify since she does not like him on it (this is his most important med) so he is now having withdrawl symptoms and is all over the place mentally. Yet will not come home because he believes that every time we see each other I yell at him. Which is so not true. She is not taking care of him. She is never home and I believe she had no idea what she was getting into.
My mother and I do not speak. I am not allowed at her house. If she finds out that a doctor showed up at her house, she would freak. Then take it out on my son.
Is this a situation where I call for a “well check” on him?
He was telling me his living situation and it’s just not humane. Yet, he will not come home.
He needs to go to the hospital and start over. Get his life back on focus.
What rights do I have?

1 Like

im not sure what your rights are but try to keep up good relations with your son

2 Likes

You have ALL the rights in the world to call for a wellness check on you son. Tell them about his medication needs, etc. when you call.
You do NOT have any rights to his information if he goes into the hospital.
unless he signs the paperwork to allow it.
HIPAA keeps medical information private after an individual turns 18. But many young adults remain on their parents’ health insurance plans until they’re 25.

https://lovelifeandbeyond.com/know-wellness-check-steps/

1 Like

Thank you! I am walking on those eggshells as gently as possible. It’s impossible to predict his response in this state of mind.

Mojoclay
Thank you! The wellness check is at the top of my list. Luckily, my SIL is supportive and is trying to help me get him home at the very least. Home is the next best place other than the hospital right now. My son is on my health insurance and gets all the best treatment possible.
Thank you for the link of information. There was a lot of needed answers.
Hugs to everyone! Thank you so much!!

Hi @MelC . I am wondering how things are going for you and your son? This site is a good place to come for comfort and support. Especially when you are needing companionship of people who understand the fight we are all involved in for help for our loved ones with severe mental illness. Thank you for the like on my post you left me.

1 Like

Drs can often release more information than they do, because its easier to just say no than to get into the legalities of HIPAA; 2069-Under HIPAA, when can a family member of an individual access the individual’s PHI from a health care provider or health plan? | HHS.gov

1 Like

And my son is covered for life under my insurance (federal and state statutes) along with Medicare

1 Like

@oldladyblue

Thank you for checking in. This forum is absolutely amazing. Just to come on here and read about how we are not alone is a savior! Shortly after my post in May, my son ended up moving 4 hours north with his friend. About 1 month or so, moved back home. Then about another month later, moved back 4 hours north and is still there. They have a lease ending in about a month so his buddy is moving back down and has basically told my son that they can’t find a 2 bedroom and he is looking for a place
of his own. However, my son had a job for about 6 weeks or so and has not been employed since. Imagine where he might land again… yep… home! I hope he does. The guy needs to get his drivers license, steady work, maybe some meds and a shot at disability so he can work minimal hours and still live.

After Christmas, he slipped into a terrible psychosis and was punching himself in the head to the point of blacking out.
Living with his friend he is able to enjoy a drunken stoned life.

And the feces. We have never gotten a hold of that. That has been a lifetime issue. He did not successfully have a full transition with the bowle process. Im not sure he even tries to make it to the bathroom…

He is my one and only baby and for as hard as it is to be in this situation, I will never not support him and I will always worry and love every bit of him and the monster voices that I have welcomed as my other children. lol

Thank you so much for letting me vent. :slight_smile:

I will be here for everyone in the same fashion.

1 Like

This is great information!! Thank you. Recently, I have been looking into getting all of his medical records together and hopefully have something in order for him to help when I am no longer living. I am his only parent and pretty much all he has. Since he has been covered under my health insurance, I have access to all of the EOB’s and have kept all of the genetic test results, discharge papers, ect… At least that is a start! From what I understand to get disability, he will need a doctor to sign off. He refuses to go.
Thank you so much for the information!! :star_struck:

I went through my personnel/payroll office and they first extended his coverage for a year. Then, when it came time to extend again, they reviewed all the paperwork and were considering a three year extension but picked up the phone and called me instead. By that time, I had spreadsheets, etc and usually carried my briefcase with much of his information in it. After we talked a bit, they said they would be wasting time and effort, reinventing the wheel, to do another short term extension and went with lifetime coverage. Once I’m gone, he can keep it if he needs to but I doubt if he’d be able to handle it alone. So now, Medicare is primary and my ins picks up the meds and any deductibles/co-pays. My son is now 41 and I know they’ve paid well above a million in benefits for him alone.