My son wants to discontinue Clozapine due to side effects: breathing problems, coughing and choking - need help please!

SZ patients are 100% have imbalance gallbladder and injured liver.
Gallbladder imbalance induced angry and agitations. Injured liver caused auditory and hallucinations. Those are similar to SZ symptoms.
Check with your doctors.

1 Like

My daughter hated Zyprexa and the doctors said it was more of a downer type, slowing things a lot for the patient. Risperdone caused her a lot of side effects in circulation, plus many other bad side effects.
Most of the people I know say that Invega works best, Abilify seems to need an anti depressant to go with it.
We went with B vitamins, Flaxseeed oil and Amino Acids like Sarcosine with works great with N-Acetyl Cysteine, a combo that you can get from profrontal dot com.
It worked perfectly as long as she was on it and she didnā€™t need the meds. The trick was to keep her on the supplements, because she feels so normal that she begins to think she doesnā€™t need them at all.
I also used a homeopathic for her from a Dr. K.S. Gopi, you can find him on linkedin or message me if you want more information.

1 Like

Hi Catherine Thank you for sharing :blush: I was really happy to hear your experience with clozapine. My son also is on a high dose of clozapine and consistency with daily dose continues. We started to see it working around 2 years. He has been taking clozapine just over 4 years. With psychosocial support meaning he has a mentor who plays golf with him, he gets out 5 days a week; this all helps him to improve as well gives quality life. I am hoping he does improve more as I have read of others doing better still over time. We do have horrible side effects of clozapine such as weight gainā€¦so farā€¦hoping we donā€™t have any other side effects and under a little stress my son does still have delusions. Otherwise I think clozapine has helped my sons paranoid schizophrenia symptoms so much that he is able to go out in society with support to enjoy golf. Pretty much all that you have said is my experience. Thank you once again. P.s. agree too that we still need to be visiting general practitioners for physical medical observations.

2 Likes

WOW! How sever are her symptoms, they must be mild. My son is pretty severe with his symptoms, but they say symptoms are less as they age and maybe we could implement natural solutions as you have, so jealous! I have KS Gopiā€™s information up now and checking it out - thanks! Thanks so much for the information and response. :heart: :heart: Jen

Playing golf, I love it! My son is living large with a beach lifestyle in Seal Beach, skim boarding, body surfing, skateboarding and biking daily. Still awkward in the community and canā€™t figure out why, but hey, weā€™re working on it and he only gets better every day on Clozapine. He has a new case manager and organization managing his illness because we just moved to Orange County and Iā€™m praying that they are better. I have a good gut feeling with the small correspondence that we have had so far, fingers crossed! We have come a LONG way on Clozapine and now knowing that his side effects will be potentially eliminated, Iā€™m ecstatic! If we have to ever change it will be such a sad day! He sees the doctor today for the drops, yay! What other horrible side effects? My son hasnā€™t gained anything on Clozapine and he was FAT on all other anti-psychotics, but he is extremely active. He is tired a lot, but he is tired on every. other. single. anti-psychotic. So, he basically only has the drooling/coughing/choking and being tired are the only symptoms - thank God! I appreciate your feedback, we all need each other and I feel so happy that I can count on everyone here! Have a great day, Jen :heart:

4 Likes

If the side effects become too severe, as they did with my son (vomiting and constipation) then just reduce the dose. My son in all the way down to 100mg (from 450mg) and it still helps him, along with low doses of other antipsychotics. It beats cutting out Clozapine altogether.

2 Likes

Thank you @Judber, he was coughing up a storm last night, sigh, so we might have to reduce it a bit, but I will definitely keep him on Clozapine.

If you think this coughing is a side affect of the Clozapine, you may want to call the number listed at the bottom of their page: Clozapine REMS

2 Likes

Thank you so much! When he started coughing, I emailed The Curesz Foundation and they reached out to one of their doctorā€™s. He returned my email immediately with the antidote, which are drops that he takes with his Clozapine and they help so much! I will check out your link and put them on my radar, likewise, you should really check out https://curesz.org/ website: so educational and helpful with Clozapine. Happy Friday and thanks for the feedback, Jen :slight_smile:

1 Like

I expect you did this in conjunction with the psychiatristā€™s recommendation.

Iā€™d also like to share with readers here that this book (see link) devotes an entire chapter to adjunct medications or vitamine/supplements that can be helpful for various side effects and effective results with Clozapine. Amazon.com

4 Likes