New Study Offers Hope for Homeless People with Schizophrenia

by Noëlle Porter

Schizophrenia affects a little more than 1 percent of the U.S. population, but it’s much more prevalent among homeless persons. Estimates are wide ranging, but some go as high as 20 percent of the homeless population. That’s thousands of people living with schizophrenia and experiencing homelessness each day.

Nearly 10 million Americans suffer from a severe mental illness (SMI) – schizophrenia, bipolar disorder or severe depression. Schizophrenia is generally the most stigmatized of these three disorders, and can be the most burdensome. The symptoms, which include hallucinations, delusions and sometimes incoherent speech patterns, often make it difficult for people with the disorder to maintain relationships, access treatment, or keep employment or housing.

1 Like

This is why I would vote for Bernie Sanders. He understands the huge impact on mental health and wants to fix the system and make hospitals free and safer and I think he would help this problem.

Yep. Truth!

Here in the uk the government has dedicated a lot more money on mental health care. However I have not heard schizophrenia being mentioned in this initiative. Much more depression/anxiety.

Suppose this will improve the lives of a lot of people since these illnesses effect more people.

Come to think about it I can’t remember any time I have heard a politician talk about schizophrenia.